Remember me
Lost Password Register

Porcupine Bay
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM,
Porcupine Bay
Thinking about doing Porcupine Bay in Door Co. this weekend.  I've never dove or even drove in there, but I heard that it is a nice deep shore dive.  We usually drive past that and hit the Fleetwing in the early season.  Any info about what its like, anything to see, how deep, and were the drop is would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM,
Re: Porcupine Bay
Hello Scubanut

You drive to the end of Porcupine road and park on the the turnaround down by the water.
There are some large flat stones you can use to gear up there.
We generally walk straight out and a little to the right. Its not a steep drop off and just gradually steps town to 80 plus feet.
Check out the Green Bay Scuba web site and print out the Door Co. Shore dive sheet. 
Adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble. <br />Nobody over eighteen in his right mind looks for it.
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM,
Any features to look for or just depth?
05-08-2009, 05:08 AM,
In the fall we've seen some very nice smallmouth bass and a walleye or two.  Last weekend we only saw a couple of dead ones though, and in one spot thousands of little fry in the rock crevices.  I'd stir the sediment a bit and they'd go into a little feeding frenzy.  Viz last weekend was 30-ish.  Take your time on the entry and exit, bit rocky. 
Dave Job, Port Washington WI
05-08-2009, 05:24 PM,
No, nothing really out of the ordinary with mostly a rocky bottom.
We once found a bag of documents at 70 ft. weighted down with a rock in it.
It was in too long to figure out what they were about.
If you keep a look out you never know what you may find...

Adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble. <br />Nobody over eighteen in his right mind looks for it.
05-27-2009, 01:02 PM,
Finally got everyone together to do this dive last Friday.  Had 60 degrees on top and 41 at 75 feet, no thermo cline, just a steady drop.  We had 50' plus of visability.  Found a couple hundred feet of braided SS down rigger line at the drop off from 50 to 80+.  We found one end, but not the money end.  We didn't spend too much time fooling around with it though, didn't want to get tangled up in that stuff.  I will definitely go back to that dive again.  I want to see how much deeper I can get, I forgot I only had 75' of line on my float.  OOPS!

We also did Pebble beach on Mem. day.  The vis. was only 8-12' and temp was 45-48 at 25'.  Seen quite a few fish and got in a fight with a crawdad, he got mad and ran away into the rocks.