Remember me
Lost Password Register

Newb here needs suggestions...
04-24-2009, 09:37 PM,
Newb here needs suggestions...
In the next few weeks I am begining to take my certification courses.At the end of which I would like to purchase all of my own equipment.However,I do not want to spend an insane amount of movies, but also do not want to sacrifice safety/quality.

I am very very new to this sport.Could someone on here post a list of everything needed.and maybe even some suggestions on stuff that would fall into the category I am looking.

also,if anyone knows who makes very big size bcd's and wetsuits?I am 6'3" and 348lbs.

any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated....thanks

-Justin Downey
04-25-2009, 05:20 AM,
Re: Newb here needs suggestions...
Welcome to the forum!  First question I would have for you is what type of diving are planning to do?  Local "cold" water diving, tropical vacation dives, both?  I wouldn't recommend buying all of the gear yet other than a mask, fins and maybe a wetsuit.  The reason I say this is that most every diver I know myself included has made that mistake only to find that what they had purchased wasn't what they really wanted or most importantly what they needed.  Then you end up taking a loss selling a bunch of gear to purchase what you really want or need and the cycle can continue for awhile. I had a friend that was all excited about diving and spent $1500 on gear immediately after open water training only to find after a couple dives he didn't like local diving and then sold everything at a huge loss. If you rent gear for a bit and dive with some other people and see what they are using, ask lots of questions, try out some different gear, etc. you will be better off.  I realize though it's tough to hold off on buying everything right away when you are super enthusiastic to start diving but in the long run you will be happy that you waited a bit and your wallet will be even happier. 
04-25-2009, 08:39 AM,
If you're young, like 18-19, I'd hold off on a drysuit until you get a little older and quit growing. (like 23-24)  I got mine at 19 and partialy outgrew it.  The basics like mask/snorkel/fins/wetsuit are the best things to concentrate on right now.

For a scuba system if you really want to keep diving after class, I'd recommend:

Scubapro G-250/Mk. 25 with either a G-250 or R-190 octo.(G-250 for ice diving)  I've been diving this reg since it first came out as the G-250/Mk. 10. (20+ years)

UWTEC digital bottom timer/depth gauge in console with analog pressure gauge. (OMS version is identical, just different face markings, and less expensive) Better computers get pricey, and don't make you learn the tables very well. (I have a computer and wish I could go back to the old Oceanic Datamax)

A non-integrated weight BC and weightbelt.  Backplate/wings are a good choice, and can allow for expansion to doubles later.  The BP/W combo can start bare bones and be customized as you need.  No other style is like that.  The weightbelt can also be used for snorleking/freediving to kill wetsuit buoyancy.

1 or 2 aluminium 80 cuft cylinders.  You'll get 10 years out of them and they're cheaper than steel.  They generally go +2 lbs buoyant when empty while steel stays neutral/negative.  Having more than one cylinder is useful for trips.  Rent instead of buying if you're planning on doing tropical trips only.

The above will get you a good basic system that is relatively inexpensive.
DEW >&ltWink)>
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM,
Justin,

Good advice so far but I will add my two cents worth.  Renting is the best way to figure out what you need along with how often you will need it.  But once you decide to buy your own equipment, the best money spent is on life support equipment and thermal protection.  Get a good solid proven "workhorse" regulator.  The ScubaPro G-250 is a good one.  So are the Apeks TX/XTX 50's.  Get a good suit that fits well, with your size it sounds like you may end up going custom.  You will probably be best off starting out with a wetsuit.  Drysuits are not cheap and as said already, you can always upgrade later on.  You might be better off renting a BC and tanks until you figure out how much diving you will be doing.  If you would rather own a BC, a backplate and wing might be a good start for you.  The actual plate and wing are one size fits all and you would have a custom length webbing for the harness anyway.  The price for new would be comparable to a standard jacket BC and you may even find the BP/W cheaper.  You can also find some good deals on used BP/W combos.  It is nice to own your own cylinders but renting has its benefits also (someone else takes care of vis and hydros).  It really depends on how often you dive and how accessible the local dive shop is.  Good luck with training!

05-06-2009, 07:17 AM,
If you want to go with a BC, I highly recommend the Zeagle Ranger.  It has a back bladder with trim weight pockets so you don't get squezed.  It is weight integrated, but when I do cold water diving, I add a weight belt so the BC doesn't get too heavy.  My weight belt has suspenders and is not ditchable, but doesn't slide down my butt at depth either.  The Ranger has plenty of D rings for clipping accessories and storage pockets plus is capable of setting up doubles, but not with large tanks unless you install a bigger bladder.
Life's Short, Dive Hard