Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit ?????
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM,
Drysuit ?????
After allot of debate with myself I have decided on getting a DUI drysuit this year. I am planning on attending the demo days at Pearl Lake. In the meantime I want to get as much info as I can so I might have a better idea as to what equipment to try. For the most part I have decided on what accessories I want but am torn between a TLS350 and CLX450 and if I should go with rock boots or turbo soles? I am guessing there may be allot of opinions, but right now that is what I am looking for. Thanks
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM,
Re: Drysuit ?????
I have a clx450.  Some of my buddies have the 350.  Some tryed the 450 at DUI days an feel they might have been better off with the 450 as far as wear resistence goes.  we all have rock boots an no bitches about them.Personally I like knowing my feet are secure. Out of alll of us everyone is happy with there purchace.  If your order new get the pockets an such right away. I belive its called the sport package.  when it comes to thermals dont waste your money on the dui.  Look for the weezles or 4th ellement an save a ton of money over the DUI stuff.  Take advantage of the DUI days being held.  Try everything you can an then retry everything again.
jeff
04-27-2009, 09:38 AM,
Definitely go with the Rock Boots.  The Turbo Sole or the integrated boots, a lot of discussion when you go upside down and you fins fly off.  Not fun.

I have a CNse with the back zip.  I like it but it is a crushed neoprene and your inherit buoyancy changes a bit.  They say it doesn't.  I personally, the jury is out on the back zip suit.  I like the ease of access to get in or out of it.  The Zipper is cheaper to replace.  You do need a buddy to help zip ya in.

I tried the CLX450 at Dog Days.  That is what I'm going with next time.  I like that suit better.  Get the Zip Seals and pockets...  Spend the money on the suit, you will keep it for a while.  I like my DUI under garments, if you get a bit sweaty, they get sticky.  Go with the fourth Element.  The Weazle get caught up in you exhaust valve unless you duct tape your arm.

04-27-2009, 10:33 AM,
I don't have a DUI suit, but I have DUI turbo soles and I've never been upside down with my fins flying off, nor have any of my buddies.  If you need to walk a mile to get to a dive site, the Rock Boots might be OK as they would add some support while walking around.  Think about where you are going to dive and make your footwear decision based on that.  The socks used with the Rock Boots can have Turbo Soles glued to them at a later date.  That option would give you the most versatility as it would be easier to add Turbo Soles than it would be to remove them.  You could sell the Rock Boots after you had the Turbo Soles installed.

One issue to consider is fin options.  I have size 13 feet and don't need to make my feet any larger than they already are.  Size 13 feet and Rock Boots gives you Turtle Fins as an option.  I didn't like my Turtle Fins.  Also, with the rock boots you have one more thing to forget to bring with you.

As for insulation, I've been using Weezle Extreme Plus for at least three years without duct tape and without venting issues.  I  A few of my buddies are using variations of the Forth Element stuff and have been please with it as well.

I guess the bottom line is, don't use your suit for buoyancy, figure out what you where you'll likely be doing most of your diving, and don't believe everything you read on the internet.
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM,
Chris has a good point on the rock boots.  you can always add the turbo soles.  I like rock boots.  Real nice on boat ladders or walking to the water.  Not for everyone but work for me.  If you forget the boots you can still dive the suit.  I myself have never seen fins flying off off a upside down diver.  Heard it happened to a instructor on wazee but I think he may have had other issues :-X
Any how try them out at DUI days an have fun.  DUI makes a good suit no matter witch one you chose an it is your preference.  just try all of them you can
04-27-2009, 12:29 PM,
I've had both the 450 and the 350. I prefer the 350, but the 450 was also a great suit and is a little tougher than the 350. I've had the Rock Boots and Turbo Soles. I prefer the Turbo Soles by far. If you have problems with your fins flying off it's not the boots, it's time to re-think your technique. Like Chris said if you're doing the majority of your dives off the shore with long walks go with the Rock Boots, if not the Turbo's are "it". DO go to a DUI Dog days and try everything. You may be surprised at what you think you want and what you end up wanting. Let us know what you buy. Good luck!
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM,
I prefer the TLS 350 because of the increased mobility and drying time.  You can add padding to high abrasion areas if you have a concern with material thickness.  I prefer the turbo soles for fin dexterity and control.  You will have limits as to which fins fit well with Rock Boots.  Regardless, good advice on trying out as many different suits and options as you can.  You will be the one diving it so get what you like best and make sure it is properly fitted.  Don't be afraid to go to a custom size if a stock does not fit well.  It is money well spent if you dive alot. 
05-13-2009, 07:27 AM,
Thanks for the great advise. I know what I am leaning toward but still am keeping an open mind until I try things out. I can't wait!!!