Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving
01-20-2004, 08:01 AM,
Ice Diving
So, who is going ice diving this winter and were? I was thinking of takeing a ice diving class through uwconnection, but they would go to Lannon quarry. I would like to go somewere else... devils lake, haigh quarry, or wazee. were are you guys going this winter?
01-20-2004, 09:13 AM,
Re:Ice Diving
You've got quite a few options - me, dfreeman and a few others on the board just went ice diving in sunset lake this past Sunday.

If you wanted to see something different, contact Divepoint Scuba Center in Stevens Point. They are running an ice-diving class this weekend and I know they wanted to get some more people in the class. He will probably do a day at Red Granite and (hopefully) one out @ Wazee.

Also, if you get ahold of Wazee Sports in Black River falls, he does ice diving classes a couple of times a winter all @ Wazee. What's cool is that when he does his ice class he combines it with an ice diving social and they've got warm drinks and soup and all that good stuff for a small price.

Just a few options for ya - my group and I tend to go to the socials and the ice diving classes to do our ice diving in the winter so that we have some people to share the work of cutting the holes, running the lines, etc.....
01-20-2004, 10:45 AM,
I'm taking the ice diving class Jan 31, Feb 1 in Devil's Lake through Three Little Devils. They're also offering the class on Feb 28, 29.
01-20-2004, 11:14 AM,
Pirate's Cove will be runnig the annual ice diving/ drysuit demo course the second weekend in February in Lake Nagawicka- I think this is the 25th year in a row that they have done this. They will have a fishboil on Saturday and chili dump on Sunday- plus heated argon on both days. 8)

Deep Blue will be doing theirs the following weekend out at Lannon Quarry.

For those who are already certified there will be an ice Dive in Lake Mendota, by the underwater haibtat off of Picnic Point, the last weekend in January. I was talking to Ken, the president of the Four Lakes Scub club, last night at underwater hockey and he seems to have things planned out to the last detail.

jon
01-20-2004, 02:44 PM,
Jon,
Do you know if we can show up to these events and just dive? I will see Gert tonight at the glove making party and I will ask him about Deep Blue, but I'm interested in doing some ice diving again and the PC event sounds fun. I have all of my equipment and I'm already Ice certified.

Thanks,
Chris
01-20-2004, 03:17 PM,
You should call PC first and register to make sure that they know you are coming. The shop number is: 414-482-1430. Or call Jerry on his cell at: 414-588-6764.

Jon
01-21-2004, 06:42 AM,
I'm going ice diving at Lake Wazee on Sunday Feb 8. Wazee Sports is holding an ice dive social that day. The holes will already be cut from Saturday ice dive class/JCDU training. Hot soup, drinks, and snacks will be provided on the ice for a nominal fee of $10. There should be plenty of help out there for line tending and whatnot.

Here's a pic from last Feb social. I think the temp was right about 15-20 degrees and sunny.

Andy
01-22-2004, 03:38 PM,
well, i finally signed up for a ice diving class. i will be going on the 28 and 29 of Feb with underwater connection out to lannon. lannon really wasnt my first choice but, it is close to home and uwconnection is my choice in LDS's. Anyone else going that weekend? ;D
01-23-2004, 09:17 AM,
a couple of buddies and I usually try to ride along for UWs open water segment of the course. We act as extra line tenders and safety divers (and then use the hole afterwords) ;D
we're going to be there tomorrow, but I don't know about dates that far in advance yet.
01-23-2004, 03:08 PM,
Shoot...my plans for ice diving got killed this weekend.

Anyone want to get together and cut a hole in Wazee??