Remember me
Lost Password Register

Opinions on equipment upgrades
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM,
Opinions on equipment upgrades
I'm looking to upgrade my current setup and wanted some input on new equipment.  I currently have a DIN Atomic M1 as primary, Oceanic Swivel 180 Octo, Oceanic VT3 computer, using a HP Steel 130 tank.  I'm hoping to be diving dry by the summer and am leaning toward getting more into the technical side in the future.  I'm planning on moving to a long hose setup, but don't know if I should go with standard hoses or miflex.  What would you recommend and why?  I'm also curious on opinions on buying an Atomic Z2 and an H-valve as a backup.  I would also add an SPG if I went with the H-valve as a backup to the VT3.  If after I got involved in tech, would I have a use for the Z2?  Or should I stick with the standard octo and single 1st stage until I actually go down the tech road?  Or should I buy another M1 as my backup?  I don't have an unlimited budget so I'm trying to spend my money as efficiently as possible.  Any input, suggestions, or criticism is appreciated. 
03-25-2009, 06:25 PM,
Re: Opinions on equipment upgrades
Getting a good fitting dry suit is a good start. I like DUI suits, but the fit is most important.

But before you spend too much more on gear, I would suggest talking with a instructor about "Into to Tech" class by SDITDI. This type of class start to expose you to some of the skills, tasks, and equipment selection/setup need for tech diving.

I've done my tech training with Greg at Shipwreck Adventure in Two Rivers.

But I will have to say... with the amount of money you will spend on good tech gear, gas fills and training. If, knowing what I know today and had to start over I would just start with a rebreather. The upfront cost is more, but long term if you are a active tech diver it will be less.

Good Luck,
KC
03-25-2009, 08:14 PM,
KEEP THE M1!!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of going with a Z2, save up a couple bucks and go with another M1.

I have 6 M1 regs and some Apeks DS4/XTX regulators for diving. They are the best on the market. I have had the most run time on the M1's and have never had them fail in any condition. I am getting more time on the Apeks regs and have found they are just as awesome. If you are looking to get a "back-up" regulator right now, get another M1 to use for tech in the future. $499 to $699 (or so).....go with the better one, because what is our life worth? Look to spend a little extra in the long run but it is worth it.

Go DUI, the company has been around for a long time, great customer service, and great product.

Good Luck!

I agree with Kevin about the intro to tech class, it will give you a handle on what to expect for tech diving. Greg Such would be my choice too, have done all my tech training with Greg and it is class A.
Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
03-25-2009, 08:35 PM,
Even if you end up going the rebreather route, you'll need good regs for bailout tanks.  Don't buy crappy regs for anything.  Deco regs should be every bit as good as your primary and backup.  Oftentimes you'll be on deco much longer than you were on the bottom.

All of my friends who dive them can get after me for what I'm about to write next, but unless you are planning to sell it at some point, there are other drysuits available for much less $$ than DUI that are as good or better quality.    I dive a Bare TriLam HD, and it is built like a tank, and weighs as much as one too.  Bare offers a good range of stock sizes including Tall and short plus they now offer a Lifetime guarantee where "BARE will honor all claims against seams and workmanship for the life of the drysuit worldwide. Even if you’re not the original owner, you’re covered."  I would not hesitate to buy another Bare suit.  Ask far as I can tell, the only thing DUI suits have going for them is that you can turn them inside out to dry after they leak during a dive, and they have a CRAZY resale value.

The intro to tech class is a fine idea.
03-26-2009, 05:56 AM,
I would stick with the standard hose setup.  Miflex are nice for special applications but I have heard that many users who converted their hoses over were not happy with the conversion.  The hoses are more flexible than standard hoses and they don't always stay put when you want them to.  In addition, they are more expensive than ordinary hoses.

Regulators are life support equipment, ditto what everyone else has said.

Education is an investment, almost like top of the line equipment for your brain.  The best paid money is usually spent on training.  If you are interested in the technical side, the intro to tech class is a great investment.

There are many manufacturers of drysuits, DUI is a good one, Bare is a good one.  I have also heard good things about Pinnacle and Diving Concepts.  Like already said, the best thing you can do is make sure you get a suit that fits you properly.  Don't be afraid to spend extra money on a custom suit if none of the stock sizes fit properly.  You will be probably be happier in the long run.
03-26-2009, 09:09 AM,
That's IT, I'm after you! DUI suits cost more, but IMO are well worth it. I'm on my 2nd after out growing my 1st (sold last weekend after 6yrs and hundreds of dives with very little trouble). All of the other suits mentioned above seem to be decent suits, but none of the other offer decent boots or the fit DUI does with their telescoping torso. Nor are these other suits the bargain they used to be. List price on all of the above is at or near the price for a stock front zip TLS 350 suit. Most other's I've looked at are proportionally weird with short legs and huge upper body's. Some don't come with internal suspenders. MY feeling for the most part is that you DO get what you pay for with gear. Save your $$$ and buy right the first time. I talked to a guy at Ghost Ships this past weekend. He's been diving for 3 years and is into his 4th set of gear to get the "right" stuff. I still don't know if he's there yet.......
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM,
I own and dive with a pinnacle evolution trilam, I love it, I just purchased my wife a DUI and looking at the two side by side I really can not tell the difference on the construction of the suits. The DUI has a few more whistles and bells, but my Pinnacle worked just fine in December in Lake Wazee. I am also looking to go down the tech road and am setting up and collecting gear to do this. I am following the simple guideline that my open water instructor gave, if it is life support, dont skimp out on it. Find a good, knowedgeable, and able to teach you mentor. There are alot of really good divers out there but only a few that are good and can teach you. Take your time and have fun. This is my two cents...... let the floggings begin........