Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite conditions?
03-30-2009, 02:10 PM,
Re: Red Granite conditions?
I called and talked to a woman who works for the village of Redgranite.  Someone did purchase the old bank and the property around the bank, also the pickle factory and the land behind the pickle factory.  The person is going to do something with the land on the north side of the quarry but that land is on the north side of the road where the chain goes across; which doesn't affect anyone diving, swimming or fishing there.  The area on the east side is being redone but the lady was not sure how that was going to effect parking.  She thought it may be more remote and you  may have to walk in to the east end of the quarry.  No village land around the quarry was sold.  So access should not be a problem although she thought that the best access for divers would be behind the post office.  If I took the time to figure out how to load pics I would go out ther eand take a few and post them but only if there is a more than mild interest.   
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM,

Thanks for doing the legwork.

I'd appreciate pictures.  I can post them for you if you don't want to.
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM,
Thanks Chris for the offer.  I have to go out of town for the next couple of days but I will try to get over there, maybe on Thursday and take some pics
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM,
Agreed, thanks for checking on things.
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM,
I stopped by on Sunday.  The nice spot to park and gear up at the pickle factory was bulldozed to bare rock, and the shallow spot there was filled with rock debris.  It's been landscaped in a way that leaves me going WTF! >Sad  The other entry there is so far untouched, but the road is now littered with bulldozer poop.  Viz looks like maybe 5' and is probably going to get worse with all the erosion thats going to occur.  The snakes on the North side should be OK, as nothing has happened there yet.  The one creche that was on the East side by the ruins, has probably been destroyed.
DEW >&ltWink)>
04-01-2009, 03:21 AM,
The point about runoff is a very important one.  As it is right now, with all the bare soil exposed and the spring rains ahead of us, it could spell disaster for the water clarity.  The southeast, east and northeast side of the quarry are all exposed.  The gradual slopping landscaping that they have created is going to cause runoff problems because, even if seeded now, it wont have a positive effect right away.  I am no expert for sure but I can only guess that runoff into the quarry is going to cause a multitude of problems down the road.   
04-01-2009, 07:56 AM,
Is there still ice?
04-01-2009, 02:48 PM,
Yes, There is still ice.  As I reported in my earlier post, I think it will take a week of sunny weather to get rid of the ice in the quarry.  It was only open for about 10 - 15 feet on the very east end, going around towards the south, but only for a short distance.  Every where else was locked up yet. 
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM,
Red Granite is open but there is heavy equipment around the East, South and North ends also the entrance on the east side is very rough because of all the work being done. 
04-08-2009, 10:17 PM,
I just had a thought today when I was there,  there's lots of new rock chunks that are throwable size for the kids!  Watch for incomming when you're down! :o
DEW >&ltWink)>