Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving Monona Terrace- Madison
03-03-2009, 02:53 PM,
Ice Diving Monona Terrace- Madison
We are going to try to get one more ice dive in this year down in Madison!

Anyone interested in ice diving at Monona Terrace in Lake Monona on Sunday, March 8 can meet at Diversions Scuba (2409 Allen Blvd., Middleton) at 9AM or at Monona Terrace at 9:30AM.  Drop gear on the west side of the building and park in the parking ramp- plan on a small daily fee. Or if you chose to park to the east side of the building near the boat ramp it is free but a bit of a walk.  Call us if you plan on going so that we have an estimate on number of divers- 608-827-0354. 

Pray for good viz! I'm bringing my camera this time.
03-04-2009, 09:29 AM,
Re: Ice Diving Monona Terrace- Madison
Vis was about 30 feet or so the last time Scott and I went a few weeks ago. It was a good time, despite a dull chainsaw.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   monona_ice_2009.jpg (Size: 34.89 KB / Downloads: 129)
.jpg   monona_ice_2009b.jpg (Size: 37.96 KB / Downloads: 134)
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM,
Dude, is that a fuzzy dead rat?!?!
If that isn't enough to get folks off their Lazyboys to come diving, I don't know what is!
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM,
I was thinking it looked like someone's pet gerbil.  I guess it could be a rat, pretty neat.  Surprised the Muskies and Northerns haven't munched on it.
03-04-2009, 09:49 PM,
Could be a Muskrat.  Just a little too late to skin it out for the pelt!  The price of Muskrat pelts has dropped a bit in the past 30 years...While the price of everything else has gone up! :Smile
I love to go down with other divers!
03-05-2009, 07:46 AM,

Muskies and Northern Pike aren't known for eating carrion.
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2009, 12:52 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Yeah... the "PM police" were in contact to inform me that the dead rodent in the picture is infact a muskrat.  Sorry for assuming it was a rat....I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, isn't that exactly the type of photo to inspire everyone to come out diving!

Now, with the warm weather and rain, I'm praying not just for good viz but for ice at all.....
03-05-2009, 12:06 PM,
Yes - it is a muskrat. I couldn't help myself and had to post it here. I thought it was kind of funny to be swimming along and find it on the floor. Fortunately it isn't under the Terrace proper.

Hopefully no one is offended.

03-05-2009, 04:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2009, 04:26 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Just another caveat with this ice dive.... :Smile
I was reminded that we go into Daylight Savings Time beginning at 2AM on Sunday morning.  So if we still have ice by Sunday, and if it isn't raining too hard and if you aren't scared off by the dead animals that proliferate the bottom of this particular dive site, then make sure you set your clocks appropriately if you plan on meeting up with us for the dive.

Hope to see many of you brave souls there!  Wink
03-10-2009, 09:26 AM,
pictures look great
what is this famous monona terrace even?