Remember me
Lost Password Register

Alvin Clark Presentation
02-10-2009, 09:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Alvin Clark Presentation
Though email I received notice from WUAA and Four Lakes Scuba Club of a presentation tomorrow night and thought that I should put something up here for those not on those lists.  Dr. Richard Boyd will be giving a talk to the Four Lakes Scuba Club tomorrow- Feb. 11 on the Mystery Ship Project (aka the schooner Alvin Clark).

I've seen this presentation before and it was GREAT! I'm planning on attending tomorrow night. 

For those of you unfamiliar with the Alvin Clark, she was the schooner that was discovered off Chambers Island in Green Bay in the late sixties.  Divers conducted an excavation project on the wreck and actually refloated her.  At the time, the project received a lot of media attention and was one of the most impressive private salvages accomplished in our region.

Here are the details:

Dr. Richard Boyd presents "The Mystery Ship Project"
Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2009 at 7:30 pm

JT Whitney's
674 S. Whitney Way, Madison
(near the intersection of Whitney Way and the Beltline highway, across
from Westgate Mall)
02-10-2009, 11:22 AM,
Re: Alvin Clark Presentation
Thanks for the heads up Tamara.  I would like to go but it's not looking too promising right now.... :'(  I remember seeing it when I was young.  Here are some additional links.  It really is an amazing story.

02-11-2009, 11:17 AM,
Not to discourage anyone from attending tonight's Four Lakes Scuba Club presentation (which knowing Dick Boyd- is going to be terrific), but Dick Bennett will also be giving a presentation on the Alvin Clark recovery at Ghost Ships Festival as well.  So if you have to miss this one there is another rendition and another chance to hear the story!

02-14-2009, 06:26 PM,
Well, did anyone go? I'm looking forward to the "Alvin Clark" presentation at the Ghost Ships Festival.
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM,
As expected the presentation was great!  Big turn out, standing room only, and the attendees spilled out of the 4 Lakes Scuba Club designated area into the restaurant.  Saw lots of divers and friends that I haven't seen in a while...kind of like a class reunion that you don't dread attending... Smile  According to Dick Boyd, the presentations that are being given at different venues like Ghost Ships Festival, Boston Sea Rovers, etc, will be a similar digitized version of his presentation.  It's now the 40th anniversary of the recovery of the Alvin Clark and that is why we are seeing all of these presentations.
02-15-2009, 09:42 PM,
Great!!  Looking forward to catching this one at Ghost Ships.  Thanks for the follow up!