Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Michigan Shore Diving
01-01-2009, 07:51 PM,
Lake Michigan Shore Diving
Curious question.  How is Lake Michigan in and around Milwaukee for shore diving?  Can I go in anywhere I (we) want?  Provided conditions (weather, current, temp, vis, et al) are ok?  What are the best places?  Whatever the answer I'm looking to start slow, if it makes sense, and have something interesting to look at.  I know about the wrecks, etc, but am wondering about just getting wet in the big pond.  Is this not a good idea because the visibility might be poor near shore?

I have been mostly on the inland lakes/quarries and not in Michigan yet, although in 2009 my plan is to get on some of the wreck charters.  I talked with someone recently who dives from shore in the Puget Sound in WA state and couldn't answer a similar question.

thoughts?

M
"Grab shell, dude!"
01-01-2009, 09:19 PM,
Re: Lake Michigan Shore Diving
Milwaukee proper? The Appomattox.  I forget the details, but if you do a search you can find it.  All I know is that it involves a long hike down to the water  and a really long hike back.  Door county is where you want to shore dive.  Check Green Bay Scuba for their guide.  Theres double lane freeway all the way to Sturgeon Bay now and getting up there is not near the hassle it used to be.  Just stay off 42 as much as you can and you'll be fine.  Northern Door has the best oppurtunities.  Porcupine Bay, Fleet Wing and Washington harbor on Washington Island are my favorites.
01-02-2009, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM by matt t..)
The Appomatox is off of Capitol drive. It is unprotected, so if there is an east wind visibility is 1ft, and like diving in milk. If you dive it in summer with a west wind it can be great with beautiful blue water, white sand bottom, and 30 feet of visibility. The Sebastopol is off of Oklahoma (more or less) and is protected by a break wall. The problem with the break wall is that it "breaks" wind and ice forms. In winter it is an ice dive. There is a lot to see beside the ship parts (dish fragments, balls of pins, nails and spikes, and a modern anchor or 2) and it's pretty shallow (6-8ft). Usually there are also a bunch of nice sized panfish if you like to spear. Be aware of boats and jet skis if you dive here in summer. Even with a flag I don't trust anyone that I've seen racing around down there on a week night or weekend.
01-02-2009, 04:08 PM,
Thanks for the info..I will look into them
"Grab shell, dude!"
02-04-2009, 06:50 AM,

Yah, its all those steps to get down to the water.  But if you do it when the Lions Club (or whatever that organization is) has their grilled chicken outing then you can at least have nicely grilled chicken, trimmings, and a beer when you wrap it up.
Dave Job, Port Washington WI