Remember me
Lost Password Register

Clay Banks wreck image?
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM by scubanut.)
Clay Banks wreck image?
Here is a very interesting underwater image at the south end of clay banks, just north of Algoma.  All the land on the shorline is posted, not to mention a long hike.  Looks like a boat dive out of Algoma, but it has to be pretty shallow also.

Chris

Hit the arrow on the left of the map to expand. It kind of looks like a big shoe print Smile
01-08-2009, 02:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM by Dewit2it.)
Re: Clay Banks wreck image?
It seems awfully wide at almost 50 meters.  Might be rubble pushed aside from a grounding.

Here's one that should be a shore dive in Jacksonport at V and 57.  Looks like another possibility just north of it.

Here's another spot to check out.  This might be the Australasia.  She was on fire, and was run aground and scuttled 1/8 mi from shore two miles from the north point of Whitefish Bay in 15'.  The north part of the foam trail might be her.  The river is right around the 2 mile mark.  She's a big boat if she was carrying 2200 tons of coal.  She was dynamited for salvage of the machinery.

DEW >&ltWink)>
01-08-2009, 02:34 PM,

It is a shore dive from Lakeside Park - its called Reynold's Pier and the remains of the Perry Hannah and Cecelia lie next to it.
The one to the north is another pier and also has an unidentified schooner near it.
01-08-2009, 03:47 PM,
Check this hit out also, too big to be a log.  Two hulls and maybe a partial?

Chris
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM,
I was looking at those too!  But with the structure to the south it makes me wonder.  But that's the Woodard's Creek location.  Wish we had better resolution like 15-30cm instead of the 1-2m stuff Yahoo is using.  And I wish they'd stop adding the generic waves so close in.
DEW >&ltWink)>
01-08-2009, 08:50 PM,
Sctatch that!  That's the Tuft's pier area!
DEW >&ltWink)>
01-08-2009, 08:55 PM,
Here's Woodard's Creek.  Looks to be a similar object there as well.

DEW >&ltWink)>
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM by Dewit2it.)
Here's the Foscoro area.  Your original target is south.

DEW >&ltWink)>
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM,
If you look just north and a little west of the targets on the second image I posted, there are two light colored spots.  My dad and I dove there last year, before I looked at yahoo maps, and I actually dove down in those holes.  They are filled with sand and about 12-15 feet deep.  On the dark areas it was only about 5 feet around them.  That was one long walk from shore.  If I would have know about those images I would have kept walking.  Visability was 50 feet that day.  The public beach access is really nice unless the door co. scum moves in, I stopped there one day and the scum went out 20 feet and it looked like you could have walked on top of it.  Looking to go back this spring, but I might run the boat up there or take my buddies inflatable.  I bet we walked 800-900 yards before we could float in our bcd's :o

Chris
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM,
I even notice in those pics that there's a lot of that bottom hugging algae.  I wonder if it would be feasible to suck that stuff up, and sell it as fertilizer.  Suction dredges are pretty easy to build.
DEW >&ltWink)>