Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dean's Mill Pier
12-27-2008, 05:50 PM,
Dean's Mill Pier
I located the Dean's Mill Pier south of Kewaunee. Big Grin  It's not the six miles south as Wild Gales puts it.  I found it on the Google satellite maps just south of the intersection of Lake and Lakeshore rds.  Didn't see anything any further south all the way to the power plant.  The pier is about 200m long and the wreck of the Mount Vernon should be 150' north of the pier 150' inside the end of the pier.  She sank with the waterline at her deck, so she's probably flat.  There is a semi dark spot north of the pier that fits the location.

It looks to be off two private residences, and can't see any close beach access. Sad Plus you'll be humpin gear quite a ways.
DEW >&ltWink)>
12-30-2008, 12:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM by Dewit2it.)
Re: Dean's Mill Pier
Hopefully this will work for getting a pic up.

Edit: No work. Sad
DEW >&ltWink)>
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM,

Do a print screen.  If you are using a Mac, as everyone should, Grab is much nicer than the Prnt screen, crop the image and post it as a JPG.
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM,
Doesn't seem to work.  :-\  I don't have Google Earth, only Google Maps right now.  I may try printing and scanning.
DEW >&ltWink)>
12-30-2008, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM by Chris H.)
Here is the picture.

According to Google, the coordinates are: 44.391874, -87.516060

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Dean\'s Mill Pier.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.2 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Dean's Mill Pier.jpg (Size: 218.54 KB / Downloads: 182)
.jpg   Pier closer.jpg (Size: 81.07 KB / Downloads: 168)
12-31-2008, 07:35 AM,
Thanks Chris H!  Wink  The satellite shots won't even print for me to scan.
DEW >&ltWink)>
12-31-2008, 08:05 AM,

We'll see if the Google Police get me for using their images.
01-02-2009, 03:51 PM,
That homestead looks familiar.  I might know those people, they are really nice people.  Most of the people down that road are nice, and probably wouldn't mind you diving from their property.  Just ask first.  I went to school with a guy that grew up in the last house before the sharp curve at the south end of lakeshore rd. and they have a beach access, but that is quit a bit south of that pier.  I wouldn't mind checking that out this spring, drop me a line if you want.

Chris

ps. I found an image off of clay banks using google maps also, don't have time to post now, but I will.  Looks like two hulls, and a partial.
01-02-2009, 07:58 PM,
After looking at the situation, I think it would be easiest to launch in Kewaunee and just motor down.  With the numbers you won't miss those pier heads.  You would not need much of a boat to do that distance on the right day.  My old hand held GPS would be sufficent to find it.  With my Humminbird 1197 it would be easy.
01-06-2009, 04:50 PM,
Drove past that site today on my way to work.  On the north side of that clump of trees is a dirt lane that goes down to the beach (follows the creek), it was gated, but I'm sure we could find out who owns that real easy.  The house on the south side of that clump of trees lives a nice couple.  I put a car in the ditch on that curve in front of that house back in highs school, and they were really nice helpful people.  The lane looked a little over grown, but I would take my truck down it.

Chris