Remember me
Lost Password Register

Canister lights?
10-08-2008, 07:40 AM,
Re: Canister lights?
The new high powered LED's (10W and up) are incased in ceramic and mounted on a small Aluminum heat sink and are indestructable unless hit directly by a hammer.  I've played with 1 and 3W LED's and they are more fragile.  I've used the 3W ones with video and the color is definately different and will take a little getting used to or playing with the white balance on the camera.  I'll be trying out my 10W LED with my camera this weekend at Devil's Lake.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
10-08-2008, 09:04 AM,
Good luck.  The visibility in DL last Sunday was close to the worst I´ve ever seen there.  I hope it clears up for you.
10-08-2008, 04:14 PM,
...Mikes right...it's taken a dive...we lost the thermocline layer ~ 2 weeks ago that below it - the vis was about as good[i] as it's been in a [i]long[i] [/i]while....I'm going Friday & can post an update for you....[/i][/i]
10-08-2008, 07:26 PM,
Thanks Dave.  I hope you have good news.
10-09-2008, 11:55 AM,

Broken lamp or burnout?

On the stage side, we use arc lamps for most of the moving lights.  Phillips sends along a alcohol wipe to clean the lamp after installation.  Even if you don't touch the lamp with bare fingers, there can still be residues from the packaging, which can burn into the glass, and kill the lamp.
[/quote]

Generally, broken from shock (impact). Plus, they are extremely sensitive to heat. The Dive Rites NEED to be turned on in water, otherwise you risk having a very very very sensitive to element to shock. Plus, they have the startup and cool off time. Of course there is some debate about what those times actually are; some say if you turn it on, you have to have it on for a least 45sec, and if you turn it off, you can't turn it back on for two minutes, etc., there are a bunch of theories out there. But, even the bulb manufacturer says they do have a proper time to on and time to off. I'll try to dig out those numbers if anyone is really interested.

In my experience, even turning the light off in the water, covering the light head with a can coozy, getting onto a dive boat, setting down my gear as I normally would, I usually give the Dive Rite bulb a 60/40 chance of survival, less if a boat crew is "helping" me doff my gear. My Salvo, never had a single issue with. Ever.
Technical Diver
10-09-2008, 12:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM by matt t..)
I've never had a problem due to turning lights on or off in water or out of water, or due to any length of time on or off (in or out of water).  I did have a problem with a can cooler melting to the lens on my first HID due to it inadvertantly being turned on out of the water with the cooler "protecting" the bulb, so I no longer "protect" the bulb with a can cooler. I do have to make the comment that I find it really odd (and it is VERY common) that people will spend over $500, or in most cases well over $1,000 or even $1,500, and refuse to spend $100 on a sturdy padded case for their lights. Years ago when they first came out, I saw tons of posts about the Salvo lights and their ability to pound nails and be thrown against a wall. My Halcyon Helios 18/9 light is over 3 yrs old and still going strong on the original bulb and battery. If you want to pound nails, hammers are a lot cheaper than HID lights. IMO the LED lights are eventually going to be the standard for primary lights, but they are still pretty new and not proven enough for me to spend the big $$$ on one anytime in the near future. YMMV.....
10-09-2008, 11:03 PM,
Has anyone really ran a HID next to a LED in the water?  I havent had many good expirences with the led yet!  Granted they have been the cheap ones.  The only non diving LED I have is a brighter than hell 3 cell Mag light.  Any of the other leds I have owned with more than one led in it has gone south in a bad sort of way.  I never seen one under water to make a comparisen though!  I have heard the LED seems to out shine in salt water while the HID is better in fresh.  But thats only what I have been told.
Jeff
10-10-2008, 07:39 AM,
I have a 12 watt Salvo LED.  I'll be at fortune pond this weekend with systematic.entropy aka John "Pink" Schrader.  Feel free to stop by and check the light out.  I have had a couple of diverite lights and have always broken 1 to 2 bulbs a year.  Some of the bulbs I have broken have definately been my fault, but the last two years I have kept my slimline in a storm case and have been extremely anal and have still broken bulbs. 
DW^2 Diver
10-10-2008, 07:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2008, 10:17 AM by matt t..)
With all of the bad Diverite bulbs, I wonder if there is some sort of conversion available. I know Karl at Sartek was doing "Brite Star" conversions to the 18 watt "H" lights for interested people. That may be an option. He's a good guy to deal with and is always prompt with a reply to E-mail or a phone call. Might be worth a try.
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM,

While it's true that a good packing case will do much to protect the bulb during transport, it's still nice to have a rugged unit that can be abused without damage.  We tend to do not-so-nice things like crawling through caves dragging our gear in a bag behind us (bouncing it along the floor) or raising gear out of pits on ropes (swinging it against the walls).  This resembles hammering nails with it and throwing it against walls well enough that I think those are not unreasonable ways to demonstrate the lights robustness.

Ethan