Remember me
Lost Password Register

best way to equlize
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM,
best way to equlize
ive noticed diving with different people that there are different ways to equlize your ears whats the best way to do it. holdin your nose or just doin the jaw wiggle? any other ways
<br />Toucan Dive <br />Lake villa IL<br />847-356-7826
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM,
Re: best way to equlize
I find that mask clearing (just breathing out your nose) is a gentle way to equalize all the airspaces in your head. I always suggest doing that first, since it's easy and multipurpose.
09-19-2008, 01:45 PM,
There is no right way to equalize and it will differ from person to person. The old standard is pinching your nose and gently blowing into it until the pressure equalizes. You can also do this in combination with wiggling your jaw side to side and/or swallowing. The key is to do this in combination to help your eustachian tubes that run behind your ears to change in pressure or move any blockage through them.

Personally, I pinch my nose to clear my ears, and depending on the mask that I am wearing, only need to blow into my nose to clear my ears from the seal that is created on my nose from the skirt on my mask (great when working with students).

Try all of these for best success...Good luck.....
Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
09-19-2008, 01:55 PM,
thanks i always have a hard time doin that but ive only been on a few dives so
<br />Toucan Dive <br />Lake villa IL<br />847-356-7826
09-19-2008, 04:41 PM,
least efficient... valsalva
more efficient... Frenzel
don't know where this one fits in..  Toynbee Maneuver (pinching the nostrils and swallowing)
and the one I wish I had mastered.. hands free BTV (Beance Tubaire Volontaire)
09-20-2008, 01:20 PM,
one thing I'm usually able to when working with students (so my hands are free), is "jutting" my jaw forward, and breathing out my nose at the same time.  seems to work well on very slow descents, and after you do it a few times you won't have to think about it too much.
&quot;it's ok to eat fish because they don't have feelings&quot;<br />-Kurt Cobain