Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira
01-03-2004, 03:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2004, 10:23 AM by puddlejumper1.)
Madeira
Thinking about going up and diving the Madeira next weekend the 10th. Anyone interested in this lil jaunt let me know. The dive is a shore dive and I will see before hand if it is open. My thought is that it is open, since we have had a mild winter. Bit of a walk (about a 150 yards to the shore) but I know of a neat trick I learned to get back easily. I am planning on my doubles with probably 32 for a back gas. I plan on also bringing my camera. Accomodations a fairly cheap in the area.
01-04-2004, 07:14 PM,
Re:Madeira
What's the trick? I'm curious. That walk is a PITA! Wink
01-04-2004, 07:53 PM,
Sled!!!! Dump the gear in it and haul it back. Wink
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM,
Cool, I wonder how much snow they have up there right now?
01-06-2004, 12:47 PM,
Quote:
Cool, I wonder how much snow they have up there right now?
Quote:

1" according to the trail report. Yep thats right 1"
01-09-2004, 09:01 PM,
Trip postponed one week due to everyone in my house is sick. Tongue
08-28-2004, 11:54 PM,
Had an oppurtunity to dive the Madeira today. Weather on the North Shore is cool (50-60), overcast and looks like it is going rain any moment. No summer up here either.

The state has put a nice parking lot up for this dive, but you have to purchase their park pass (day $7 or annual $25). There is a gate to the entrance and they give you the combination to the lock. Need to register at Split Rock State Park and have your C-card.

Long walk down to the shore but this just helps you lossen up. Swim to the buoys is 200 yards according to the park maps.

Got the new backplate put together and swim we must. Bite rough getting in and some decent swells, but managable.

Took two dives, visibility was OK in the deep areas but not so good shallow. There were a lot of divers out today and I think that affected conditions. This is a bif enough wreck that you do not notice all of the divers.

Best parts were the wheelhouse and the stacks. With better visibility this would be a great wreck still a lot of fun.

To make the swim out more difficult, I took along my camera. Here are a few pictures to give you a feel for the wreck and the dive.

Here is some the deck gear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Equipment_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-28-2004, 11:56 PM,
The wheelhouse is separate from the wreck. Here is the current view through the windows fo the wheelhouse.

.jpg_thumb   Wheelhouse_Windows_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.29 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-28-2004, 11:57 PM,
Here is the mechanism that is in the wheelhouse. Not sure how it works.

.jpg_thumb   Wheelhouse_Controls_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-29-2004, 12:01 AM,
There are some stacks neat the wheelhouse. This vessel did not have a main engine but did have a donkey engine. I do not know if these stack are part of this system or something else. Nice to dive on.

.jpg_thumb   Stack_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.46 KB / Downloads: 0)