Remember me
Lost Password Register

New Year's Day dive
01-01-2004, 04:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2004, 04:48 PM by FreediveWI.)
New Year's Day dive
I went out Freediving in Lake Monona for about 2 1/2 hours today. When I got there the beach area was froze up with skim ice and I had to break my way through to the open water area in front of the power plant outlet.

Last winter the outlet had 65 degree water coming out of it and the whole beach area was open. Today it was only a high of 45 in the outlet and closer to 39 by the edges of the ice where I did most of my diving.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

01-01-2004, 04:49 PM,
Re:New Year's Day dive
Once I got a little further out I had some nice vis and was able to find some open water.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ice_flag.jpg_thumb (Size: 22.38 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 04:51 PM,
There were some large schools of carp that were sucked in close to the outlet. Many of them were well over 25 pounds and they let me swim right through them.

Not exactly the Ocean, but it you have to make due with what you've got- plus, it was a lot cheaper than a dive vacation. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   carps.jpg_thumb (Size: 13.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2004, 04:52 PM by FreediveWI.)
There were also some really nice musky in there as well.

jon

.jpg_thumb   musky_outlet.jpg_thumb (Size: 12.21 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 04:53 PM,
This guy came in for a closer look.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   newyears_musky.jpg_thumb (Size: 26.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 04:54 PM,
THis one was already working the "catch and release" angle. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   musky_lure.jpg_thumb (Size: 14.83 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 04:57 PM,
After the batteries died in my digital camera I put it back in the car and grabbed my speargun. There were so many huge fish that I couldn't spear, like some of the biggest bass I've ever seen, but also lots of fish that I could.

Idecided that today would be a crappie day since they are the easiest to filet. I shot a bunch and called it a day when my tirgger finger froze up.

By time I got back to the car my batteries decided that they had enough life left in them to take one more shot.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   newyears_catch.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.03 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 04:59 PM,
What better way to end the first dive day of the year than to have a fresh cooked meal that you just shot. ;D

I hope everyone else had a great day and got out to do something besides nures a hang-over. :'(

Jon

.jpg_thumb   fresh_fish.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.33 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-01-2004, 05:13 PM,
Great shots Jon!

Do you think that the Musky would have come that close if you were on Scuba? I have seen a few OK sized muskies in Elkhart lake while on Scuba, but I don't know if they were that close.

The final picture is making me hungry.

Happy New Year!

I got to spend my day staining woodwork. The sovlent buzz was sort of nice, but i would have preferred to be diving.
01-01-2004, 05:32 PM,
We get close enough to where we can grab them. I saw one guy, after the batteries died, that was over 4' and I wasn't sure if I wanted to grab him or not. Wink

The only time I have gotten close to pike and musky while on scuba is at night, when you can blind them with your light. Freediving let's you get so much closer to all fish life, without the added bulk and expense of a rebreather.

jon