Remember me
Lost Password Register

Working in fast moving water
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM,
Re: Working in fast moving water
The Creeper, as I've said before, looks like a useable option.  With a little modification it may make a good camera platform and anchor.  I would want a collapseable version.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.gif   dimension.gif (Size: 242.48 KB / Downloads: 216)
DEW >&ltWink)>
09-03-2008, 11:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM by freediverND.)
the creeper looks good.. but also looks like one more clunky thing to deal with along with the camera..  somehow the camera would have to be infinitely adjustable while still fastened to it.  I know it would have to be quite heavy to act as an anchor as I've moved big heavy boulders under the water and watched the current take them away.. 'course, they were a bit round.  I think keeping it simple.. an anchored tether, somehow easily adjustable at the person.  If you didn't need both hands to run the camera.. a simple wrap around the wrist and a good hold would suffice.. at least for going down stream.  You'd need both hands to get upstream.

O.k... so an anchored motorized winch with light cable fastened to one of those weight vests, a person tending it on the shore.. a mask that allows communication to the tender.  give me slack.. pull me in.. you do the side to side with a good pair of fins..

I know a good river to try it all out in.. you can keep the lures you find..
Fred

09-03-2008, 09:42 PM,
Here's a pic of the camera.  I think putting a beefed up tripod head on the center of the creeper would work.  Then be tethered to it and a safety line. 

In the remote areas that the client is talking about, hookah may be the best option for air, as we would be airlifted to the locations.  Flying and full cylinders don't mix well.  With a full face mask, it would be easy to add comm, and video to the hose.  Kinda like what I used for hard hat.  Either way, scuba or hookah, a tender would be needed.  I'm a little spooked about gas powered hookah and CO.  Would rather have an electric model, and genny, that could be set up well away from the pump.  The big question is how much drag is the hose going to be compared to a cylinder.

Attached Files
.jpg   Me.JPG (Size: 78.03 KB / Downloads: 208)
.jpg   Me.JPG (Size: 78.03 KB / Downloads: 208)
DEW >&ltWink)>
09-04-2008, 05:51 AM,
Might be a good idea to plan the very, very simple too.  Maybe you'll get into rivers that have a "not so bad" current, then a simple spike that can be added to the camera could work as an anchor and mono-pod.. if the substrates are such that you can push it in to the bottom.
I thought hookah earlier too..  I'd like to get one of those for the grandkids (and myself), but then, like the tender line, you'll have to deal with that getting in the way of some shots you want to take.  It would sure work good for collecting lures, but in a fast current would almost have to be on the shore, the ones I've seen are not at all streamlined, the drag on it would be tremendous if it was anchored.

you'll figure something out.  good luck.