Remember me
Lost Password Register

where's the snow?
12-27-2003, 04:38 PM,
where's the snow?
this has nothing to do with scuba, but were is all our snow? i dunno about you guys, but my teley skies are gathering dust(i have only made it out once this year and skied mostly on leaves)! i havent even got to try out my 4 by 4 on my truck, not even last year! global warming? arr..... i miss the snow... :'(

carrie
12-27-2003, 04:48 PM,
Re:where's the snow?
Carrie,
You Tele?

I've been doing it for a little more than 20 years and suddenly it seems as if everyone has started doing it. I used to be a ski partoller but got out of it because they wouldn't let me patrol with the tele skis on, even though I passed the hill test with them. Now days I see they even let people patrol on snowboards.

I still have my stuff, but it's been sitting in the basement for the past couple of winters- no snow. What kind of boards do you have? I have been through a few pairs- Trucker Mountain edges, 3-pins mounted on some Atomic Slalom skiis, and my current pair are a pair of Rossi TRS's. I still have leather boots, Asolo Extreme's, but those plastic ones sure look nice. 8)

Where do you normally ski?

Jon
12-28-2003, 09:04 AM,
hey jon,

i too used to be on the ski patrol. i quit about 2 years ago and am now in the process of trying to get back on, i am planing on challeging the tests. now you can patrol on skies, a board, or teleys. i ski mostly at alpine valley simply because that is were i used to patrol and can get a free lift ticket there. i would love to go out west or just anywere other than WI. my dream is to find somewere, were i can ski and dive in the same day! Big Grin

as far as the stuff i use. i have a pair of alpine skies, volkl vertigos with rockeffela bindings (spell), and scarpa boots. you should give the plastic boots a try, they are great. i would love to upgrade to a pair of real teley skis someday or just a newer pair of vertigos. i put on my apine stuff last time i was out this year. i hadnt har it out in almost 2 years. wow, did it feel heavy and clumsy. well, wish for snow! ;D
12-28-2003, 10:57 AM,
Small world! I patrolled at Alpine Valley for 8 years. I used to be on the reigonal First Aid Test team that tested new patrollers.

When i was a junior we went to Crest De Butte for a week long training seminar. I was the only Junior out there on Tele's at the time. It was pretty cool. I even got to see them run the Grand National's Tele championships that year. THat was back in the days of "Stein-comps". THose were 40 year old leather down hill boots that people would resole and then build up the back with PVC pipe to race with. Things have come a long way since then.

Last time I skied around here was about 4-5 years ago. I went out to Devil's Head and skiied for the morning. I got so bored I drove home and went mountin biking for the rest fo the day instead. Wink
I still will go X-C if theres snow, but we don't have much of that around right now. :'(

I wanted to go out spearfihsing yesterday but my buddy just got back form Cozumel and has a bit of Montezuma's revenge goiong on- or he ahs just turned into a massive wimp after seeing what warm water is like and is blowing me off! Big Grin

Jon
12-28-2003, 12:51 PM,
it is a small world after all....

i have been out to crest butte as well, only once thou. it is/was my fav out west location, not so mainstream and kind of has a small ski town feel to it.

as far as more teley skiers go . i am noticeing that as well. i have only been teley skiing for 2 years after boarding and alpine skiing for years. when i started you never saw another one out at alpine. now i see maybe 2 a day when i m out there. it sure is getting more and more popular. you even see adds in skier and skiing for teley that you never saw befor, gear reviews to.

i would love to buy new equipment, but diving and school is takeing up most of the funds. nay be if i lived somewere, were i could ski more and really SKI. i would invest more in it than i have. diving just is better suited for WI. you can do it year round and have the great lakes to dive in. well, am outa here. i suppose i should get back to work. seeing that i am at work.

carrie