Remember me
Lost Password Register

BC to be used with drysuit
12-23-2003, 03:46 PM,
BC to be used with drysuit
so i just recently got my drysuit, a DUI TLS 350 (black) ;D and i had a seaquest pro qd BC which is a jacket style bc. and i pretty much hate how it feels over my drysuit. what do you guys recommend for a new bc? i was looking at a BP and wings. possibly a dive rite SLS backplate with trek wings. that should allow me to grow and not have to buy new stuff all the time. all my diving is done in the great lakes or inland quarries. i dont for see getting to anywere warm anytime soon.
12-23-2003, 04:20 PM,
Re:BC to be used with drysuit
First off, you got a great drysuit that will last you a long time.

Back plate and wings would be the way to go. I've owned both Halcyon and Diverite and they both make goo dstuff. I have used the Zeagle back plate wing, I think it was called Big Bertha, and the OMS wings and would only consider them if they were the NON- bungie type wings. One shop I worked at also had some problems witht he elbows on the OMS BC's breaking. I assume they have fixed that by now.

If your looking for a single tank wing try and find one that has a "donut" air cell- that means the air is free to move around in a complete circle around the tank. For a long time Halcyon was the only company that had this, but Diverite has now caught on with a new wing they just introduced a few months ago.

It might take a dive or two to adjust your harness, but once you have it dialed-in you'll never dive anything else. Mine packs even smaller than my Wife's Zeagle travel BC for warm water trips.

Jon

12-23-2003, 05:38 PM,
I agree with Jon on this one.

I am a recent convert to the BP and wing for all of my diving instead of only with doubles. I will never go back.

I have a Dive Rite SS plate with the Rec wing (I also have Classic wings) and I've been very happy with it. I have been diving PST double 80s lately, but I have also used it with an E8-130 and a Faber 95. I know it is best to use a bladder specifically designed for a single tank, but I had pretty good luck with the Rec wing and a single. That being said, if you don't have doubles, I would definitely go with a wing designed specifically for a single tank.

I have heard many good things about Halcyon, but I don't have any firsthand experience with their wings.

This is a hot topic on nearly every scuba forum I've been on. There are many manufacturers out there, and I don't think you could go wrong with Halcyon or Dive Rite. Do a little homework before you buy. I think that Deep Blue has BP/Wing set-ups to rent. Gert will show you how to properly adjust it and you should be on your way to happier, more comfortable diving.

I just reread Jon's post and I guess this one says nearly the same thing Tongue Get a Backplate and a wing. You won't regret it.
12-23-2003, 06:34 PM,
I have heard good things about oxycheck wings. I am pleased with my halcyon pioneer single-tank wing. I upgraded from a Seaquest Balance.

The key is to find a local shop or experienced diver that can help you adjust the backplate harness the first time.
--Jason
12-23-2003, 08:20 PM,
Great dry suit. I had a few dives in a DUI TLS 350 and it convinced me to go to a dry suit. I purchased a Bare and have gotten great results from it, and over 150 dives now.

I have taken about 15 dives with a DiveRite backplate and wings. It is the only way to go. Will probably buy my own this year as my Sherwood Outback is showing some wear. Look around, the price is quit reasonable on this type of set-up. I really like the freedom you get with a backplate and everything stays in position.

I use DivePoint in Stevens Point as my dive shop and they have a lot of good backplates and wings in stock right now.

I hope this helps.

Doug
12-23-2003, 08:27 PM,
Definitely BP and wings, ditto on the comments below!! The best part of BP and wings is that you don't need to change your configuration for any tanks setup you dive.

Todd
12-23-2003, 08:57 PM,
I agree with everyone else on the BP/Wing. I switched to a Halcyon Pioneer 36 wing with a SS backplate from a Zeagle Ranger about a year and a half ago. The BP/Wing setup is way better for streamling, stability and trim. Like others said, you should check out the Halcyon Pioneer, Halcyon Eclipse, Dive Rite Venture and Oxycheq wings.
12-24-2003, 09:36 AM,
Just a note on the bp/wing...if you are doing single tanks you'll need a single tank adapter. The advantage of the new dive rite backplates is that they have built in slots for tank bands in them...so you just need to bolt a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe (that has been cut lengthwise...) to the backplate and you have just saved yourself some cash.
12-24-2003, 10:17 AM,

I have used mine with no STA and two Scubapro cam straps.
01-19-2004, 11:25 AM,
Cool - I didn't know that you could get away with that!