Remember me
Lost Password Register

Solo diving
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM,
Solo diving
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this topic, but I'm sure someone here could inform me.  I'm interested in getting into solo diving.  My work schedule is really conflicting with my dive buddies, I'm unable to get together with the local shops for their weekday fun dives because of it and I have a great area to dive just 20 min. away from my house.  I'm wondering what type of extra equipment and training I would need.  My goal is to get into tecnical diving in roughly five years or less depending on funds.  At the rate I'm able to get together with my buddies, its going to take ten years to get the necessary log time just to get started down that course.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Scubanut
07-02-2008, 06:26 PM,
Re: Solo diving
TDI has a Solo Diver course that teaches you about self reliance and the necessary equipment.  Mike Haynes out of Underwater Connection in Menomonee Falls teaches this class.  I would give him a call.  262-251-8283

Jeremy
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM,
Solo diving is probably the safest diving you'll ever do as it really forces you to dot your i's and cross your T's.  There are Solo diving classes available now as well as books you can read.  A simple google search will turn them up.
    Be fore warned however that solo diving is not for everyone.  You not only have to be squared away with your kit and your technique, but you have to be there mentally as well. I was taught self reliance many moons ago.  Today, buddy dependence is more of the rule.  In solo diving there is no buddy to bail you out.  It is taught today that the first rule of diving is never hold your breath.  That is very important.  Never hold your breath!  But what is more important is, "no matter what happens to you, do not panic!  Stop, think, react."
      Your research will turn up things like letting people know where your going and only diving as deep as you can make an emergency accent.  There are other things like entanglement scenario's and the like which you may not have considered.  Read, study and be very careful.  The rewards are worth it.  It's definitely a path not to be taken lightly though.
07-03-2008, 02:51 PM,
The solo diving course is through SDI.
07-03-2008, 11:38 PM,
TDI...SDI..I apologize...either way Mike Haynes teaches it and is very very good...and highly recommended...give him a call and take a look / check it out

best of luck

Jeremy
07-04-2008, 08:28 AM,
...I would strongly recommend making a redundant air system part of your dive equipment & get the training...do try to meet other divers from your shop who work unconventional days / hours & see if your schedules can mesh....you may be surprised how many of your fellow divers are available to dive with...but..like you...it doesn't always work out for me either & I do a lot of solo myself....know your limits, equipment, let someone know where you're diving and alway listen to yourself......good luck.....
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM,
you do have to be 21 to take the course....o wait I guess I am the only person on here that has to worry about that.... ;D.....course I am all for changing that requirement to 18, because it makes no sense for the standard to be 21 when someone can take Advanced Trimix or CCR at 18 (a lot more intense training and dedication).....I read the book and this is a great course, and a great card to have in you collection, you learn a lot about redundancy and self sufficiency....

Good Luck
Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM,
Thanks for all the replies, I'm definitely going to check that SDI course out.  I also planned on picking up a redundant air supply.  Any suggestions as to the size of the pony bottle, or isolated manifold on a doubles set up? I know I'm eventually going to need both as I head down the tech road.  I guess I'm looking for the bare minimum right now, when I make the commitment to the tech world I'll make the necessary Investments. 

Funny thing one of my dive buddies just called me and told me his summer just opened, his other hobby (sailboat racing) just got cancelled due to a broken sail boat.  Looks like I'll be logging a few more dives this summer.  I am looking for other buddies also, I'm just 6 miles west of Algoma and am willing to dive on the weekends.  Have boat will travel.

Thanks again,
Chris
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM,

Get a backplate and wing so you have a good place to attach the bottle.  Don't buy anything smaller than a 40cuft bottle for a redundant system.  40s and 80s are most commonly used as stages in tech diving, and in my experience, Luxfers float/ride better than Catalinas do.
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM,
I have a steel 80 that I use now, and my new Trans Pac w/ Rec Wing should be in today or tomarrow.  If I buy a 40, is it better to be AL or Steel?

Thanks,
Chris