Remember me
Lost Password Register

A Soldier's Night Before Christmas
12-23-2003, 05:49 AM,
A Soldier's Night Before Christmas
Merry Christmas Everyone,

I thought that at this time of the year, it would be appropriate to take a moment to remember our troops that have given their lives to keep us safe as well as those that can't be with their loved ones this holiday season because they are stationed overseas, whether in Iraq, Afghanistan, Europe, Korea or anywhere else.

Whether or not you totally agree with why they are there, I believe that we owe them a debt of gratitude for being willing to step into the breech to protect our families, our country and our way of life.

I heard a poem on the radio called A Soldier's Night Before Christmas, and I was very touched by it. I have pasted it below. Also below is a website that will allow you to send an email to "Anyservicemmember" via projet Dear Abby. I sent one yesterday, and I took some time to read other letters written to the troops. It was very touching and kind of puts the holiday in perspective. Please take a moment to read the below poem and send a note if you so desire. Also, in the spirit of the holidays, please forward this to as many people as you are willing to.

A SOLDIER'S NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
(Original Title is "Merry Christmas, My Friend")

The piece is attributed to James M. Schmidt, then a Lance Corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, stationed in Washington D.C. The piece appeared in "Leatherneck" (Magazine of the Marines) in 1991.
Regards,

'Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
In a one-bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney, with presents to give
And to see just who in this home did live.

As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand.
On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.

With medals and badges, awards of all kind,
A sobering thought soon came to my mind.
For this house was different, unlike any I'd seen.
This was the home of a U.S. Marine.

I'd heard stories about them, I had to see more,
So I walked down the hall and pushed open the door.
And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.

He seemed so gentle, his face so serene,
Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine.
Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?
Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?

His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan.
I soon understood, this was more than a man.
For I realized the families that I saw that night,
Owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.

Soon around the Nation, the children would play,
And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day.
They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year,
Because of Marines like this one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder how many lay alone,
On a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home.
Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye.
I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.

He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice,
"Santa, don't cry, this life is my choice
I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more.
My life is my God, my country, my Corps."

With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep,
I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.

I watched him for hours, so silent and still.
I noticed he shivered from the cold night's chill.
So I took off my jacket, the one made of red,
And covered this Marine from his toes to his head.
Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold,
With an eagle, globe and anchor emblazoned so bold.
And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride,
And for one shining moment, I was Marine Corps deep inside.

I didn't want to leave him so quiet in the night,
This guardian of honor so willing to fight.
But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure,
Said "Carry on, Santa, it's Christmas Day, all secure."
One look at my watch and I knew he was right,
Merry Christmas my friend, Semper Fi and goodnight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ANY SERVICEMEMBER" WEB SITES ANNOUNCED

You don't have to look too far to know of someone deployed overseas ... perhaps a member of your own family, or the family of a co-worker or friend. Let's not forget them this holiday season. I know the joy which results by receiving messages from "home". This year is it even easier than taking pen to paper. You can do it on the Internet.

Last year, the Department of Defense has placed a moratorium on mail addressed to "Any Servicemember." In the past, this was a way for people to share their thoughts with and give support to our men and women in the service. These letter-writing campaigns have always been a morale booster, however recent mail-related attacks have resulted in additional precautions and the safety of servicemembers is paramount. Please visit the "Any Servicemember" link as it contains the web sites that can be used to direct a web-based message to any branch of the service. Let's show support for our military personnel.

Gert
12-23-2003, 08:38 PM,
Re:A Soldier's Night Before Christmas
Thanks to everyone for the kind sentiments to our troops. There are several of us on this forum that have children in the armed forces at this time and we can ensure you that it means a lot to them.

Merry Christmas

Doug
12-31-2003, 12:38 AM,
I have never posted on this board but have been reading it for some time. The members of this board are highly informative and educated, by the time I put together a coherent thought, someone has already said it better. I thank all of you for your submissions.

A little about my self I am certified at AOW and dive recreationally and for my Fire Dept. as a search and recovery diver.

What has brought on my first submission was reading this post “A Soldier's Night Before Christmas”.

I can remember growing up, being at my grandparents house on Christmas eve while my grandfather spoke that exact same poem, just change a few words. What made that moment so amazing was that he didn’t read it, he recited it from memory.

How you ask? Because he was the author. It was written in 1947 while he was stationed in Okinawa, Japan.

PFC. Frank Detkowski
United States Army, 506th Infantry Regiment

Below is a link certifying what I am saying is true along with other military literature.

The meaning of the poem hasn’t changed, I just believe in giving credit when credit is due and this hit close to home. I am in no way attacking Gert, his intentions where good.
My family continues to serve in the military and your heartfelt gratitude I know is appreciated.

As always, stay safe and keep wet(unless your lucky enough to have a dry suit).

Dennis T. Detkowski II

01-01-2004, 10:41 PM,
Thanks for the feedback, I knew that this poem had been around since the 1940's and remember reading it the first time in the late 1960's.

Still a great poem.

Doug