Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redgranite quarry
06-16-2008, 11:41 PM,
Redgranite quarry
Dove Redgranite for the first time yesterday.  Visibility was about 5-10 feet at best down to about 30.  Little too dark after that.  Computer showed temp of 38 at depth.  Found two of the boats, a couple bikes, and an air tank making for an interesting dive.
06-17-2008, 04:21 AM,
Re: Redgranite quarry
Next time look for the bowling balls (sometimes they're in shallowest boat). They are a lot of fun to bounce and throw around.
06-17-2008, 01:05 PM,
We really need a basketball hoop down there, so we can play basketball...er...bowlingball....er...  ???
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM,
Just remember what happened to the compass course! >Sad

Did you see anything that might have been a zebra mussel?  I found one a few years back.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-17-2008, 09:06 PM,
Didn't see any zebra mussels, but quite honestly, wasn't looking for any. 
07-23-2008, 06:29 PM,
Todd and I dove at Red Granite today. Visibility was horrid (5 ft) down to 35 ft or so, and then it opened up to 15 ft or so. The 60-80 ft range was even better, but dark. There seems to be a lot of earth moving and land clearing work going on on the south and east sides of the quarry. None of the swimmers we talked to had a clue about what was going on there. Anybody know? We hit a couple spots in town looking for old quarry photos from when they were working it, but couldn't find anything with a good over all view. I did see a photo of the quarry that was labeled "1950" and it was full of water at that time.
07-30-2008, 12:36 AM,
Redgranite waterfront condos  :Smile
07-30-2008, 06:39 AM,
Actually I called the Red Granite Town Hall (or some other "official"  phone #) yesterday to see what's going on. The lady I spoke to said that somebody was "developing the SE corner and E side (private land) of the quarry into a beautiful park like developement with walking paths and other amenities". The old bank building has been done over and looks pretty nice, and will be used to house a few restaurants and/or food vendors. Should be nice when it's done.
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM,
Does anyone know what the water temp is?
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM,
I don't have access to my log at the moment but Matt and I were there a couple of weeks ago and the water was pretty warm (70ish) to about 20ft.  The coldest temps were below 40 feet and ran about 40 degs or so.  Vis was pretty crappy (5ft or so) shallow and improved the deeper you went.  At 80 ft it was about 15-20 ft.