Remember me
Lost Password Register

New topic: DIR vs. DIW
01-05-2004, 10:48 AM,
Re:New topic: DIR vs. DIW
I went with the Dive-Rite compact spg (brass), with cover. It looks amazingly like the OMS mini spg. My SS bolt snap is attached to one of the neck slots. The cover's lip protects the crystal from impacts & scratches.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   DiveRiteSPG.jpg_thumb (Size: 16.91 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-05-2004, 03:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2004, 04:00 PM by LKunze.)
I'm using the Halcyon SPG with no boot. I honestly don't see how anyone could break the glass on an SPG during a dive if it's on a short hose and clipped off properly. Just seems like a non issue to me I guess.
01-05-2004, 04:17 PM,
I have been using a standard Dive RIte SPG, without a boot, for some time now and have never had a problem.

The mini spg's I've only seen used on stage bottles in the past, not on back gas tank(s).

Jon
01-07-2004, 02:17 PM,
One of the advantages of using the full size pressure gage is that it is easier to find and handle with gloves on. It is also easier to see for those of us with aging eyes.

Removing the boot is advantageous because if you develop a leak, you can see where it is coming from. Typically you get a leak at the point it that the hose screws into the pressure gage. There are 2 tiny o rings on the HP spool that get ignored most of the time. Not a bad item to carry in your save a dive kit!!!
01-22-2004, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2004, 08:44 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Gauge picture
Here is the picture of my gauge, with surgical modifications: the boot is carved away to reveal the swage; and the little loop has been removed, as it is an unneccessary protuberance on the boot. I like having that "bumper" surrounding the compact spg in case I knock into something. I don't know how the face got cracked on my old gauge, but this seems to work very well.

DIR or DIW??

.jpg_thumb   gauge2.jpg_thumb (Size: 43.47 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-22-2004, 08:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2004, 08:36 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Knife placement and config
I have a Zeagle EMT shears and z-knife combo that velcros quite nicely to my right shoulder harness above the D-ring. In this position I can reach either tool in any position, including if I was keyholed in an opening, where otherwise with a waist knife, reaching down (especially with my ring glove system) would be difficult or impossible. The velcro strap on the unit is oriented to keep the unit in this position, so putting it on the waist would be impossible without orienting the unit horizontally, which makes it quite awkward to deploy. There is also a plastic D-ring sewn on the back of the holster, which I have bungee-tied to my harness D-ring to keep the unit in place, but still have the option of cutting it free in an emergency. I think the placement falls right in to the DIR way of thinking- i.e. It is streamlined, available with either hand quickly in emergency, and can be jettisoned if need be. What do you think???

Do you think this is the "height of strokery"??

.jpg_thumb   Paulknife.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.62 KB / Downloads: 0)