Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit/BC for bouyancy compensation
04-28-2008, 10:43 AM,
Drysuit/BC for bouyancy compensation
I know this was in a post somewhere, but can't find it.  We all know that PADI says to use the drysuit to compensate for buoyancy and leave the BC alone.  However, I have would have to inflate myself the size of the Michelin man to stay that way, especially deeper that 60ft.  Its OK if I'm in 20ft or less.

Let's hear what the more experienced dry suit divers have to say.  What do you use to compensate for buoyancy?  Not just eliminating squeeze.
04-28-2008, 11:04 AM,
Re: Drysuit/BC for bouyancy compensation
It's called a dry suit, not a buoyancy suit.  I would, and do, use the buoyancy compensator/wing for buoyancy.
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM,
Agreed, take the squeeze off the drysuit but use the BC for its intended purpose.  I think PADI's idea is to limit task loading by concentrating on one device that you manage.  The problem with using the drysuit for buoyancy is that you end up getting a pretty good size "bubble" in the suit that can be difficult to manage it itself.  If you happen to be overweighted with too big of a bubble you just might find yourself in an uncontrolled ascent to the surface feet first.  If you are new to drysuit diving, take the time to "unlearn" what PADI taught with ascents/descents using primarily the BC with a small amount a gas in the suit.  You will also find that suits with a shoulder dump take little effort (in most cases) to vent expanding gas while ascending.  It should not take too long to become proficient.
04-29-2008, 08:05 PM,
Use the suit to take off the squeeze.  If more buoyanct is needed, use the BCD, that is what it is for.

Any other scheme will get you in trouble.

Doug
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM,
I saw one Japaneese neoprene drysuit that had ankle valves to prevent a feet up ascent problem.
DEW >&ltWink)>
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM,
I have known a few guys that could use those ankle valves.

Doug
05-05-2008, 07:05 AM,
I agree also.  I have a neoprene drysuit and put as little air in it as possible and then use the B/C.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
05-13-2008, 06:05 PM,
JYC was using ankle valves in the early 50's before most of you were invented.  It's a good idea that hasn't been used of late.