Remember me
Lost Password Register

What Kind Of Paint To Use On Tanks?
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM,
What Kind Of Paint To Use On Tanks?
I'm looking to repaint a couple of my tanks and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on type of paint and paint remover to use. I remember an old post here about the subject, but was unable to find. I do know that they are not to be heated or baked.
Thanks
Tom
05-12-2008, 06:01 PM,
Re: What Kind Of Paint To Use On Tanks?
Zip strip. No heating, just an environmental hazard. ;D
05-12-2008, 07:25 PM,
Aluminum or steel? Aluminum tanks I would just strip leave bare aluminum. The recommended coating for steel tanks is ZRC Galvalite cold spray galvanizing compund. It looks like a grey primer, and is easy to touch-up every so often if needed. If you want to paint over that with Rustoleum, I guess that would work. DO NOT use any type of paint (or powdercoat) that requires heat to dry.
05-12-2008, 09:16 PM,
They are all aluminum
05-13-2008, 07:29 AM,
I had a friend paint mine with an auto paint and clear coat, doesn't hold up to getting banged around.  Heat wasn't used.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM,
Be careful not to paint over the hydro stamp. Some shops get pissy if they cant see the little patch of paint that the hydro shop slaps on their stamp.
05-13-2008, 02:49 PM,
I would just strip them and leave them bare. I did a couple tanks last year that I bought used. They turned out great.
05-13-2008, 05:48 PM,

Paint will suck in to the hydro and other markings.  Zip strip the tank, use a grey primer coat and use a top coat color of choice.  TAKE YOUR TIME!  Thin coats are better then thick.  Just do more coats and sand bettween them with light sand paper so the new paint will adhere.  If you do it right, your tank can take a beating and still look good.  If you short cut the deal your tank will look like crap in short order.  It's your choice.