Remember me
Lost Password Register

Has anyone dived the St. Lawrence River?
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM,
Has anyone dived the St. Lawrence River?
The board has been a bit slow for a couple days, so this may be a good time to ask.  I guess I hadn't realized that the St. Lawrence has such great diving.  I just read on the internet that around the Thousand Island area (Clayton,NY) the summer water temps are in the 70's with vis 40-70 ft. and even 100 ft.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the vis because we have that here too in LM, thanks to the zebras, but I read that the water temps there are constant with no thermocline.  I read about great wrecks and even great shore dives.  I wonder how hard it would be to plan a trip, driving to say Clayton, NY and making several stops along the way to dive LM and the other Great Lakes along the way.  Seems like a group could make it a relatively inexpensive dive trip (compared to Caribbean or other exotic locations). 

So, does anyone have experience diving the St. Lawrence?  What part?  How was it?  Recommendation for dive ops?

I tried a search and didn't find anything, but I'd like to learn more.

Mike
05-09-2008, 04:54 PM,
Re: Has anyone dived the St. Lawrence River?
This is a place that i have always waned to dive too! If anyone is planning a trip out there i might be interested.
05-10-2008, 07:04 AM,
Re: Has anyone dived the St. Lawrence River?
Make sure you know which side you're diving on, and know the regulations for both sides.  You may have to use the alpha flag on the Canadian side.  Also be careful of the shipping traffic. 
DEW >&ltWink)>