Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redgranite
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM,
Redgranite
Just jumped in today!  Viz is crappy on the surface but gets better ~15'.  Saw the muskie swimming along the north wall.  He's actually a big northern!  I got to see him up close in the sun.  From above, he's 4 1/2' long.  I got into a big school of trout, and they were pretty friendly, and got a frenzy going!  Bunch of local kids were out catching snakes.  One kid had a 2 1/2' fox snake.  Found a dead hawk on the point between the bays.  Turtles in the east pond were going at it.  The water level in the quarry is the highest I think I've ever seen it.  On my walk around, there were some growths on some of the rocks that looked like zebra mussels from the surface.  I'll have to check them out next time. 

Lots of logs floating around.  Some looks like they were cutting stuff down and tossing it in.  Maybe a UW logging/bonfire is in order
DEW >&ltWink)>
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM,
Re: Redgranite
The school of trout is probably the annual dump of farm trout that they put in before fishing season.  They think that they are still in the pond at the fish farm.

Doug
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM,
What's the vis below 15'?

We had 20-30' two weeks ago - surface was even great. Sure changes fast.
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM,
There were quite a few large ones that looked like they had been there awhile.  Even the farm fish weren't that tame to start.  These came right up almost as soon as I got in.  I may try video tomorrow morning.

I was only snorkeling, but I heard a report of 50' below the surface layer.
DEW >&ltWink)>
04-24-2008, 06:25 AM,
I hope those damn kids aren't killing the Fox Snakes.  That is one of only a few populations in the state and it pisses me off when stupid people kill snakes...

Sorry about the rant.  Sounds like you had an OK day.
04-24-2008, 07:10 AM,
I talked to the kid that had it, and his mom made him put it back.  Most of the kids were catching and were going to release them a few days later.  I'm just worried about how they catch them.  It's pretty easy to mess them up on the inside.

The turtles would have been fun to watch if they weren't in that shallow pond.  Two males were trying to get one female, and chasing her all over that pond.
DEW >&ltWink)>