Remember me
Lost Password Register

CCR
04-20-2008, 11:28 AM,
CCR
Hey Guys

If your looking for a CCR Instructor i can't recomend Ron Benson to highly ! Jitka & myself just got back from two days of ccr training up in Minnesota with Ron and he did a Great Job ! Never spent so much time on the bottom of a pool !!

We have a ways to go but were started down the path and i look forward to using a lot less Helium & O2 !

Dive Safe

Bill
04-20-2008, 11:36 AM,
Re: CCR
Although I haven't purchased a CCR yet, I will also give a plug for Ron.  He spent a lot of time with me answering questions, setting things up, and working in the pool.

Things are really crazy for me right now, but hopefully when it settles down a bit I can get a CCR figured out as well.
04-20-2008, 06:35 PM,
Bill - which CCR are you favoring, the KISS Classic?
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM,
John, I purchased a used Inspiration Classic that was in very good shape. I will run it with a Shearwater computer that adds a 4th cell to the unit as well.

There are a lot of good CCR units on the market and i am certainly no expert on any of them. I bought what i bought because i feel they have a proven track record, aval parts,ease of repair when needed and due to them selling near 6000 units you can find them at a reasonable price..paying $ 15 or 20 grand for a CCR is in my opinion is crazy ! but thats just me !

They are a good solid unit,  ( yes others may be better ) but i like them.

Bill  Smile Smile
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM,
Bill-
Wow...congratulations..i actually didnt think you would ever take this step...i guess you can teach an old dog new tricks....

Deano
04-20-2008, 08:04 PM,
Dean

Thanks, I think ??  I guess by your way of thinking someone my age is old but i have been doing this Tech diving gig a long time and and i have seen a lot of BS come & Go in the past twenty five years. CCR's are/and will be the next big leap in tech diving here in the Midwest on deep wrecks like the Bradley, Gunilda , Franz ext because if used properly they are without a doubt capable of making much deeper dives then OC ever was safely.

Dean, i think you should ask the wife to work some overtime so you can get one too...

Bill  Smile Smile Smile

04-20-2008, 10:45 PM,
I would love to be able to step up the CCR table, but a bit out of my range.
04-20-2008, 11:32 PM,
Bill-
Anything i say to you would be only a compliment..

I wasnt thinking of age.. mostly the fact that you have been diving oc for so long...you grow to trust something that has become a part of you... i am certain that oc has done that...I am very glad to see that you are making the change..especially with knowing what some of your diving plans and goals are...Cudos to you...

Regarding the wife...weve had that conversation..i think it is in my future..most probably an EVO.

Deano
04-21-2008, 06:48 PM,
I totally agree with Bill, I have taken Ron's intro to CCR class and will be taking adv trimix with Ron in a couple of weeks (yes - diving off Bills's boat), Ron is an amazing instructor (who is also staff instructor for Underwater Connection - yes that is a plug for U/C).  I look forward to diving with both Ron and Bill this summer using my Inspo!!!  It is humbling to go from OC to CCR but the learning curve can be quick depending on your motivation and drive to become a CCR diver. 

There are really a lot of great CCR's on the market but look at the track record and research that goes in to Inspo/Evo and there is nothing that compares.  I have found my Inspo to be absolutely AMAZING and am planning plenty of trip on Lake Michigan and Superior this summer.  With Ron's guiding hand, help, and internship with him hopefully both myself and Jon Knudson will be Silent Diving Instructors for next season for Underwater Connection. 

Oh and one more plug - don't forget about the Wednesday night charters on Bill's boat - sign up through Underwater Connection.  I will be on every charter diving my Inspo to gain experience and hours and have a fantastic summer diving all the wrecks locally and gaining an even more intimate understanding of all the wrecks.

Dive Safe

Jeremy
04-22-2008, 06:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM by matt t..)
Jeremy,
I'm curious about the track record of, and research that went into the CCR you own, and why nothing else compares to them. Also curious at Underwater Connection possibly having 3 on staff CCR instructors next summer. What kind of growth and sales are you guys expecting in the CCR market for the future? I will agree that CCR's are becoming somewhat more mainstream in tech diving, but what are YOUR expectations for the market? FWIW, I agree that Ron did an excellent job with the CCR workshop I attended at the Meno Falls store, and would look at him as an instructor if I would decide to make the move to a rebreather.