Remember me
Lost Password Register

Will be in the Dells late June.
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM,
Will be in the Dells late June.
Hello again from Indiana.

I posted last year about looking for a place for a newbie to go diving in Wisconsin.  I ended up diving in Superior by Bayfield, WI.  I had a great time and have continued to dive throughout the year.  This year, I'm going to be in the Dells area.  A look on google earth shows Devils Lake ~17 miles, Lake Wazee ~80 miles, and Red Granite Quarry ~75 miles from the Dells.

I read some of the latests posts in the Devils Lake thread and words like "itching parasite", and "black sticky goo" were mentioned.....doesn't sound too nice to mee anyway.  So, are Wazee and Red Granite quarry wirht the 70+mile drive from the Dells?  Any other places that would be closer, yet enjoyable?

Thanks!
04-11-2008, 10:50 PM,
Re: Will be in the Dells late June.

by all means don't miss out on good old lake michigan! Lots of wrecks from kenosha all the way to door county and beyond. Fascinating wreck dives!!! Plenty of opportunities.
04-12-2008, 09:08 AM,
Oh, I wouldn't overlook Devil's Lake.  I have close to 400 dives in that lake and have never gotten the swimmer's itch and never saw a sticky goo.  It's a relatively shallow dive, so you get lots of bottom time on an air fill and the east and west shores have lots of rocks and friendly fish. 

And, yes Lake Michigan should also not be missed.  Closest would be Sheboygan or Port Washington.  Divers Delight charter does trips to both those places and Milwaukee has other dive charters as well.
I suppose you could expect around a 2 hr. drive from the Dells.
04-12-2008, 09:35 AM,
I haven't dove Devils Lake in a couple of years, but It can be fun to work your way down the East side by the railroad tracks and feed the Bass.  Good hiking trails too for between dives.  As mentioned Wazee is certainly worth a look as is Lake Michigan.  Kenosha to Sheboygan has a whole passel of interesting wrecks to dive.  The only draw back is either a boat or a charter are required.  You could drive up to Door county and spend a weekend or two doing the various shore dives.  Plus up there there is always somewhere to dive regardless of wind direction.  Have fun and dive safe.
04-12-2008, 10:12 AM,
Diving is very good at both Lake Wazee and Red Granite.  Lake Wazee is bigger and has more dive sites but a $10/day fee.  Red Granite is free and can be very good, but you never really know what you will get.  If you post here, you can usually get a report on either of these lakes.

For more see the large Lake Wazee andRed Granite topics on this site.  There are a lot of pictures and information in these topics. 

Also see:

Let me know when you are going.  I dive these places often.

Doug

04-12-2008, 05:57 PM,
...agree with Mike on Devils Lake.....I must have ~60 dives there & have never had the swimmers itch or seen the 'goo'. When the vis is good- it's a nice dive...never had to compete much with other divers....I'd also check with 3 Little Devils Dive Shop on the Lake Michigan dives....Joel & John put together several over the summer......
06-18-2008, 08:42 AM,
My plans changed, and I will be up in Wisconsin this upcoming weekend.  I would like to get in some diving on Sunday, the 22nd.  If anyone is willing, I'd be willing to go to either Wazee or for a shorter drive and lessgas money, I would do Devils Lake too.
06-18-2008, 08:46 AM,

I think Devil's lake is closed.  I know the park is, I'm not sure if there are alternative dive entrances.
06-18-2008, 11:01 AM,
....Devls Lake is closed.....I talked with Joel at 3LD yesterday & he thought maybe a week.......
06-18-2008, 11:52 AM,
I just read online that the entire park will be closed at least until the 25th.