Remember me
Lost Password Register

looking for a start in the tech world
04-02-2008, 11:53 AM,
looking for a start in the tech world
Hello all, I am starting to collect gear in anticipation of starting to train for the tech stuff, beyond just doing it right. My question is this, do any of you have any advice for someone new to all of this. I am looking for advice with gear as well as training. I have already purchased a backplate and harness, and I intend on going back as soon as my wallet will allow me to get the wing and weight pouches. I intend to set up doubles down the road some ways to get used to the added bulk while diving. I do not intend to do anything with my diving that would differ from the padi way except maybe paying more attention to technique with my diving through all of this. I just do not want to spend extra money I don't have because a dive shop says so. I would like to make an informed decision. Thanks for any and all help, James
04-02-2008, 12:30 PM,
Re: looking for a start in the tech world
You didn't say what brand/kind of plate and harness you bought. I prefer a 1 piece harness for ease of set up and use. Don't waste your money on the weight pouches. Buy a cheap weight belt and use that under your 1 piece harness. Much cheaper and more useful in the long run. Buy a wing that will work for what you want to do NOW. There aren't any wings on the market that will work well with a single tank and a set of doubles later down the road. I would look in the 30-40 lb lift range. I prefer a SS STA (stainless steel single tank adapter) with a single tank. It takes some of the weight off of your weight belt and keeps the tank rock steady on the plate. You will get 5 different opinions from 5 different people. Take a look at everything yourself, think about it (not to hard  Wink) and then buy 1 time instead of trying a bunch of stuff and losing a bunch of $$$ in the process.
04-02-2008, 12:31 PM,
I'll bite!!

You have a harness and plate...

next get wing and single tank adapter so you can use your new equipment..personally..forget about the weight harness..just use a weight belt with lead weights....

I would assume you have a regulator.. what kind might it be?? if its of good quality..get another one..if you dont own any..buy some regs that are suitable for cold water diving..then get two of them...make sure they are DIN...and come with an adapter..

i would think next you will want to pick up some steel tanks with din valves...if you are not ready for twins yet...try to get two that are alike..so they can be twinned later...make sure they are DIN...

if you plan to dive in the big lake..strongly consider a pony bottle..but rig it as a sling bottle..get a 40cf..its a great size to use as a back up..and it will allow you to get comfortable with it..before you get twins on...and start using it as a deco  bottle...you will need a good reg for that as well...

get yourself a nice light..i personally suggest a cannister light...my reasons...to get a nice hand held light..you will need to spend $300 new....as you dive more you will find it to be cumbersome to carry especially when you are switching breathing gasses while doing future deco..rather than spend that money and then spend 600 on a Diverite Slimline h10 cannister.....just buy the cannister..i personally have a couple of lights that i havent used in a few years because of this.... after the cannister light....look at a manifold and bands to put your two tanks together....and you should be good to go..

Keep in mind..this doesnt address exposure protection..this is a different story all together..

Good Luck
Deano

Also...find yourself a good shop that you can trust..and tell them your plans and they can help you plan out your purchased

04-02-2008, 01:57 PM,
Thanks for the in site so far, I will expand a little further on my current equipment....
I have an Aqualung legend glacia reg, currently set up for yolk
I have two steel 130's both set up for yolk, but can be din with the adaptor removed, 3440psi
I can do a weight belt as I found one on the straights of Mackinaw this last summer, I hope no one is missing it lol
I purchased an OMS s/s backplate and the basic harness that has one shoulder that releases for ease of donning and doffing, this took a little bit to set up but I think I have gotten it.
I have just purchased/ paying for a pinnacle tri lam drysuit with latex seals, I have been using an Atlan 8mm neo drysuit for the last year.
I have a hand held light, a C8 I Think, it is a pistol grip and yes it can be tough to store during the dive.
I also carry two knives as I hope to take a Public safety course in the near term.
Hell I think that is all, I am missing something but just can not think of it right now.
I do like to carry a camera with me, sealife DC600 with the wide angle lens. Again, it is tough to store during the dive.
I hope this will help some, again.... thanks James
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM,
Home equity lines of credit are supposed to have good rates right now.  That is a good start. Smile    

Matt and Dean have given you good advice.   You should pay special attention to Matt’s suggestion about buying the correct gear the first time.  It is important, and we’ve all tried it the other way.    The BP/wing is a good start.    Don’t buy one wing and assume it will work well for single and double tanks.   Get as single tank wing, and then when you switch to doubles later, get a wing for them too.    Regs are important, you’ll eventually need many.   I use Scubapro MK25/G250Vs, I have five.  Most of my buddies use Apeks of some version or another and have at least that many.   Dean’s suggestion of a 40cuft stage is good; if you have 80s for your recreational stuff, and they are Luxfer, don’t get rid of them either.  The Catilinas are OK, but don’t ride as nice.  

If you have specific questions, we might be able to help more.   I’d say take it slow, and make sure you are having fun.
04-02-2008, 02:12 PM,
The 130s are nice tanks, but don't make them into your first set of doubles.  With a SS plate and any steel doubles, you shouldn't need much of a weight belt.  2-6lbs tops.

Make your next big purchase a light or another reg.  I think your reg is internally the same as the Apeks, but I'm not positive.

I haven't ever taken any PSD classes, but I think you will find they don't overlap well with gear configuration and or procedures.