Remember me
Lost Password Register

Haigh Quarry open yet?
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM,
Haigh Quarry open yet?
I read on another forum that Haigh is open and mostly ice free. Anybody able to confirm? We'd like to go down Saturday. I tried to call this afternoon a bunch of times and got a busy signal every time.
03-28-2008, 11:35 AM,
Re: Haigh Quarry open yet?
Chris got through this a.m. They are open tomorrow @ 8:00 a.m.
03-28-2008, 09:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM by EHeilig.)
Ok, so I gotta' ask...

Did you happen to get the water temp?  I'm feeling the itch to get in the water but don't own a dry suit.  I know that I'm probably jumping the gun a bit but I have to try.  :'(

Thanks!

Eric
03-29-2008, 04:23 AM,
Supposedly 40 degrees (I'm somewhat skeptical of this). We'll post a report tonight when we get back.
03-29-2008, 05:11 PM,
Just got back after a great day at Haigh quarry. Water temps were 39-41 degrees, air temps were high 40's and SUNNY Smile. Visibility was 15-25 ft depending on where you were. During our dives we ran into 2 of the big paddle fish that live there, as well as a couple of large catfish, 1 nice sized crappie, and a northern. I was surprised at the amount of zebra mussels we encountered. Had a lot of fun bowling and just hanging out and looking at all of the suff they have in the quarry. Our ride from Milwaukee was just a little over 2 hours with clear sailing through Chicago. I hope to eventually make it back maybe next fall.
03-29-2008, 07:59 PM,
Sounds like more fun than our day.

We tried for Monona north of the terrace, but with the couple of cold nights there was a 1/4" clear ice which was persistent for most of the day.

Decided to do the Yahara river flowage where it meets Monona since that was completely clear. 37-38 degrees. Nothing hugely interesting, but good to get back in the dry suit and all the gear and verify some weight changes. We of course talked big afterwards at the Come Back In; ignoring all the looks from the joggers who clearly thought we were nuts.

Made the day of the guy who lives alongside the river. He even came out with his digital camera to capture the inmates out for the day.
03-29-2008, 09:15 PM,
I had and excellent time today.  The Paddle fish were very cool to see, and it sounds like we were lucky to see one on each dive.  If I had to guess, I'd say the 2nd one was in the 4ft range.  There is a ton of stuff in the quarry to mess with, and it was great to be in the water again.  It seemed like it had been forever.  To top it off, we mad it through the Chicago area and back without getting stuck in traffic one time.  The diving Gods were smiling on us today.