Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gearing up for Spring
03-11-2003, 12:42 AM,
Gearing up for Spring
Spring is nearly around the corner and we need to get our gear ready. What preparation steps do you recommend to get your gear ready for Spring?

-- Check all tanks for hydro/vis
-- Annual regulator service

What else should be on the list?
--Jason
03-12-2003, 06:17 PM,
Re:Gearing up for Spring
Add "replace batteries in computers" to the Spring list.

--Jason
03-13-2003, 03:33 PM,
You could add the following to the list:

Have your BCD inflator serviced, especially if you were on a warm water trip over the winter. These do have a tendency to stick when they are full of corrosionand salt deposits.
Also, how about checking your mask and fin straps now, instead of at the dive site?
Maybe that 7mm suit needs to be disinfected, rinsed out and dried correctly?
Maybe lubricate your drysuit zipper, especially if you didn't do any ice diving lately?
How about reviewing the basic safety rules or even take a refresher class at your local dive center if it's been a while since you've blown any bubbles?

03-13-2003, 06:25 PM,
Good points! Welcome to the board Colin.

--Jason
03-20-2003, 02:34 PM,
Break out the dive lights and replace or burn test batteries, clean and silicone O rings and seats, maybe a fresh bulb?

Inspect all seams, seals and webbing for rips, abrasion, etc......

Replace used items in your "extras" kit or Save a Dive kit.

I'm sure there are more but brain has a bit of lag right now.

Todd
03-24-2003, 06:12 PM,

For those of you that don't own Uwatec computers, yeah, I'd add that to the list. Luckily the batteries last forever in those things otherwise I would be really grumpy about not being able to change my own. I put aboug 80 dives on my SmartCOM last year and the battery capacity went down 2%.
03-24-2003, 07:29 PM,

I still like the thought of changing the batteries in my vyper every year. It only costs a couple bucks. I take the old ones and put them in my save a dive kit.
--Jason
03-26-2003, 04:15 PM,
re: Omicron post:

Yes, that's why I still use my old US Divers Monitor 3. I (foolishly) thought about sending it back to Scubapro a few years back to get the batteries changed. When I called Scubapro to get an RA number to send it in, the tech asked me what the battery life was on the wrist unit. When I said 30%, he laughed and said "....send it to me when it's about 5, and even then you'd have enough battery life for about 100 more dives".
That's probably the number one selling point for the average consumer when it comes to buying an Uwatec computer-lifetime battery change, but also the decompression algorithm gets checked, along with the entire unit recalibrated.
I just got the SmartCom and will be using it for the first time on a trip to Roatan in April.
03-26-2003, 04:30 PM,
Yeah, that battery life is outstanding!

Good luck with the SmartCOM. I really like it, but we've had a few bits of bad luck with it in our group. I'm on my second, and one guy I dive with is on his fourth warranty-replaced SmartCOM.

Test it before you go and make sure it actually calculates your RBT - on some of them, it will show 99 minutes even if you are at 100 feet with 10 psi of air.

And if you have the computer lock up with the error code E8 on it, don't even try anything. Just bring it back to your LDS for replacement.

I've only had to replace mine once...but others haven't been so lucky.
04-06-2003, 02:36 PM,
I sometimes wonder if I am the only one that got a new UWATEC SMART COM that had no problems. ;D A slight o-ring problem on my recent trip to the Caymans but that was self induced and fixed on the boat.

Getting the tanks checked and the regulators serviced on the yearly schedule. CHecking all of the o-rings, especially on the digital camera houseing.

Looking forward to the spring diving season.

Doug