Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wolf River
11-28-2003, 09:08 PM,
Wolf River
Have any of you scuba geeks from Stevens Point or Appleton been on the Wolf River yet this fall by Shiocton? Need to go visit my sturgeon pals this year. I'm thinking about heading up there this Wednesday and just wondering about the conditions. Anyone want to go along if conditions are good?

Todd
11-28-2003, 09:53 PM,
Re:Wolf River
I want to go along so bad I can taste the delicious river water. Why can't I have a job with hours like yours?
11-28-2003, 10:42 PM,
Byte me. Just to spite ya maybe I will take the day and dive it with ya. Been waiting on my new fins which are not here yet. But got me back plate that I am thinking of mating up to a set of those boulders you are strapping around. Just to give you an update Todd I dis-assembled the booster and found it in great shape. Have a place out of PA that I will order a oxygen rebuild kit for it. Got the compressor boxed up and shipped out and should have it back by Feb. Got the laptop ordered and it is on it's way (V-Planner) GPS, Dive download. So I should be up and running sometime in April with the Mix Station and will be mixing brew by Mothers Day. Dive anyone?
11-29-2003, 05:46 PM,
Where is there diving on the Wolf, and how is it??
I've only been paddling on it...
11-29-2003, 08:35 PM,

I have spent quite a few hours under water in the Wolf. How it is depends on a lot of factors including weather and rainfall and probably most importantly what you are expecting when you get in.

Todd is probably planning on entering the water behind the "Red Rail Inn" (that is what it was called in 1999) in Shiocton. There is a bend in the river just downstream from the restaurant about 30ft deep. In December of 1998 we saw roughly 20 Sturgeon in this hole ranging from 1-5+ feet long. Along with the Sturgeon there were 100s of carp and one bigass catfish. To this day I think it was one of the greatest dives I've ever been on. The visibility was probably 6ft that year.

Looking at my log book I see antoher time that we found 46 bottles and 8 anchors. That was down the river a bit farther but still in Shiocton if I remember correctly.

River dives can be really cool.
11-30-2003, 01:02 AM,
This is a great dive. Best 6 foot of visibility dive that I know of. There is so much stuff and fish to see. It all sneaks up on you in the deep. Bring some sort of hook to help you against the current.

This is a real blast. Can be a little on the cool side.

Doug
11-30-2003, 11:21 AM,
I had no idea there was anything to see in that river.

What do you guys look for?
11-30-2003, 04:18 PM,
So no one has been out there yet this fall? I guess that I will have to be the lab rat, no complaints though. I'll be happy just to get a few more open water dives during the "dead period" before ice diving.

Todd
11-30-2003, 05:55 PM,

Any excuse to get wet. The bottles and cool fish are just a bonus!