Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Metonga
02-02-2008, 09:07 PM,
Lake Metonga
Has anyone dived this lake near Crandon?  Got any information on it?
02-03-2008, 08:20 AM,
Re: Lake Metonga
I've been up to Metonga for a few shallow recreational dives off of the beach. The 2 spots on the lake I've been on it's shallow a loooong way out to where you can finally swim, though it does get pretty deep out in the middle. It's colder than your average inland lake with lots of crayfish. There are at least 2 public beaches/entry spots on the lake. Mostly sand bottom where I was. Hope that helps.
02-03-2008, 11:58 AM,
If you're shore-diving from any public access on Metonga, you're going to have to swim a ways before you get any depth. Just down the road a couple of miles is Lake Lucerne. This would probably be better choice of lakes if you're just looking for something to dive in that area. I did a shore-dive from the landing on the SE corner of Lucerne and hit 30 ffw in no time. I could have went deeper but it was one of my first solo-dives and I was sticking to my dive-plan. There's a real nice drop-off as you head north on the east shoreline. The entry was sandy but quickly turns into muck. There are some weeds as you get out which held lots of little panfish. Lucerne is one of the deepest lakes in the area (over 70 ffw) and actually holds some Lake Trout. Lucerne is typically known to be one the clearest lake around but when I dove it last august, there was an algae bloom so vis was down to about 15 ft. Spring would probably be much better.

Here's a lake map if you're interested:
02-09-2008, 08:52 PM,
I've been diving Lake Metonga about a dozen times a year for the past five years.  It's one of the most beautiful lakes in Wisconsin in my estimation.  The clarity is superb, and the plant and fish life is varied and abundant.  If you have any specific questions, email me at eric@underwaterfishphotos.com

One tip: Stay in 20 feet or less.  The deeper you go, the less fish and fauna you will see.  I love this lake because the clarity is exceptional for underwater photography.  There are three public access points.  There are 2 large parks at the north and south ends, and a small shore dive access on the east side.

Nearby Lake Lucerne is a fine lake, but it isn't as clear and doesn't have nearly as many fish as Metonga.

Hope this helps.
02-10-2008, 07:18 AM,
Thanks all.