Remember me
Lost Password Register

Inexpensive backup "computer"
01-15-2008, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM by Meyer.)
Inexpensive backup "computer"
Heads up! Need a basic, inexpensive backup to your dive computer?  Try a Timex Helix Depth Watch.  This baby measures depth, water temp, and dive times (and also functions as a standard watch with time/date/stopwatch/etc.). Even tracks multiple dives. Has the "Indiglo" feature to light up the LCD numerals when dark.  Turns on automatically at 3 feet upon immersion, and is watertight to 150'.  I've measured it against my dive computer and it is spot-on.  I know several divers who have these (I have one, and just bought a backup).  Timex quit making them years ago, but they show up on eBay on occasion.  A seller has several of them out there right now (check back on eBay often).  Most are selling for about $10-12 -- A STEAL.  They were going for $50-60 a couple of years ago and originally retailed for more than $100. Ugly watch, but it works!
See this link for an example listing (though it may be expired by the time you read this): 

The above link is no longer good.  Best bet is to search eBay with words "Timex Helix" and then look for the "Depth" model of the Helix watch.  7/2008.

You can get the watch's operation manual by doing a Google search.
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM,
Re: Inexpensive backup "computer"
That is one ugly watch. How many are YOU trying to sell?
01-15-2008, 09:12 PM,
no kidding, it's ugly....I think I'll take my chances without a back-up ;D
01-16-2008, 05:57 AM,
Uh, I said it was an ugly watch, didn't I?  Not trying to sell anything here, just passing along a tip to fellow divers.  Sheesh! Give me a break!
01-16-2008, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2008, 12:49 PM by matt t..)
Noted. You are credited with 1 break. Just seemed a little odd that your 1st post here was about a "great deal". We've had others here with 1 post advertising great deals (for their own sale items) or great references/testimonials (for their own businesses/services). If you love the watch that's great and welcome to Wiscuba.com.
01-16-2008, 12:49 PM,
Noted. You a credited with 1 break.
[/quote]

ROTGDFLMFRAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meyer...don't take Mickey Rooney..err..I mean Matt too seriously....  I know I don't!!! >Big Grin
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM,
Yeah, but you are "shockingly" irregular in your watch tastes.
01-18-2008, 06:50 PM,
Well, it is a good deal....I got one on e-bay a few months ago.  The bad news is it eats batteries for lunch if you use it on a daily basis or leave it in an enclosed container or face down on a countertop!  The backlight mode will come on automatically in certain modes....keep an eye on it! :o

But as a dive computer/bottom timer, it's great for backup and as a loaner to someone at the dive site who forgot theirs! ;D
I love to go down with other divers!