Remember me
Lost Password Register

Viking Drysuit ???
01-13-2008, 05:49 PM,
Viking Drysuit ???
Has anyone had any experience with Viking Drysuits? I've done some looking around and folks seem to have good things to say about them, but the information is few and far between. There were even a few folks that preferred them over the DUI....

I would be interested in the X-treme front entry for my and my wife.

Thanks
01-13-2008, 06:00 PM,
Re: Viking Drysuit ???
From what I understand the newer Viking suits are supposed to be a pretty good value. Unfortunately they are not popular in this area for whatever reason, so I haven't seen anything other than the all rubber suits or old neoprene Unisuits. Contact Bob3 (a member of the board), he is a dealer located on the west coast and from what I hear he has pretty decent prices, and from my dealings with him, good service.
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM,
Green Bay Scuba is now a Viking Dealer.
The local GB dive team uses Viking suits.
Adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble. <br />Nobody over eighteen in his right mind looks for it.
01-13-2008, 08:32 PM,

Inland Divers in Chippewa is also - it's the LDS I frequent and I wanted to get as much information on them before I jump into one (OK - 2).
01-14-2008, 10:43 AM,
I've been using Vikings drysuits for years and have been very happy with them...  My first suit was a Viking Pro 590 front-entry - one of the all-black rubber ones.  I used it from '99 until '05 when I blew out the zipper.  I'd get quite a few holes in it (well-deserved, from cave-diving or snags on sharp metal - I was never very nice to it), but it always easy to find them and trivially easy to patch them - just a dab of the Viking solvent and it was fixed.  Aside from the zipper, the suit is still in fairly good shape.  My second suit was an Viking Xtreme rear-entry - I bought it used in Fall '05 and have been using it through the present.  This suit is a bit less tough than the all-rubber suit, but still pretty robust and easy to patch.  I would've preferred to get another Pro, but the price on the Xtreme was too good to pass up - I just wish it were a front-entry suit.

I'm also a huge fan of the Viking dry hoods and dry glove rings - it's great to keep your head and hands warm and dry. 

I realize that Viking doesn't have the reputation that some of the better-known brands do, but when I look at the suffering and continuous leaks some of my friends have had with DUIs (that cost twice as much), I'm very glad about my choice.

Ethan
01-14-2008, 01:09 PM,
I have a Viking x-treme back entry. This my first shell suit and 4th drysuit owned.  I based the purchase on several factors.
1) Mono layer design. Not a tri-laminate to fail.
2) Very light weight.
3) Attached boots that I cannot loose or forget.
4) Price (value)
5) I like the latex hood with skull cap.
6) Contacted 4 references prior to the purchase. All love it.

Me personally I would not pay for a front entry. That is what your buddy is for. I have now 23 dives on the suit with NO leaks.  Only issue I had is where the suspender fastens to the inside of the suit. All four glued areas pealed.  The suit was repaired under warranty. I purchased a box suit and it fits fine for my 6’-5” 200 lb. frame.  I paid $879.00. I added Viking dry gloves and would not go back to a wet glove. I saw no need for pockets since my BC has them.  Keep it simple so fewer things cannot go wrong.

Hope this helps.
Bob