Remember me
Lost Password Register

Interesting Topic On Force Fins, Rodales Reviews
11-20-2003, 12:01 PM,
Interesting Topic On Force Fins, Rodales Reviews

Interesting article on Diver Magazine's website. It's a story about how the owner of the company that makes Force Fin's rose to Rodale's challenge of "$10,000 to anyone who can prove we do bad reviews".

The guy rose to the challenge and Rodale's couldn't prove him wrong...it's pretty interesting actually, especially considering how people are always mentioning that Rodale's has really bad reviews...
11-24-2003, 07:55 AM,
Re:Interesting Topic On Force Fins, Rodales Reviews
I think it's awfully hard to run a magazine that survives by advertising and NOT be biased.
All together, they've definately gotten worse since the new editor came on board, they bought out the deceased 'Skin Diver', and changed their format.
Now every review has nothing but nice things to say, just like the very weak 'Skin Diver' reviews.
Their biggest issue isn't gear reviews though, I think it's destinations. If you look, NOBODY who doesn't advertise gets reviewed.
11-24-2003, 01:48 PM,
I do not plan to renew my subscription. There just is not the content that I had hoped for.

Doug
11-24-2003, 05:28 PM,
I'm personally not going to renew either. I get a little sick of reading about nothing but tropical fish identification...or how this reef is good, or that reef is good, etc, etc. Gets a little boring. Gimme stories on shipwreck diving, deep diving, tech diving...that's actually interesting.

It's seems geared towards those that dive in tropical locations a lot more than me...
11-24-2003, 08:20 PM,
I get depressed everytime I read one of these magazines. Yes I would love to blow $4k on some exotic dive location. The articles are geared toward people who live in tropical climates or who only dive when they travel.

I honestly feel like I get much better reviews from online forums like scubaboard.com or thedecostop.com. I have made quality equipment choices and I have received great travel tips. Some of the best dive charters never get reviewed.
--Jason
11-25-2003, 08:33 AM,
I do have to give the magazine a little credit. Every once in awhile they do pretty good. They had an article on golf ball diving not too long ago that was actually a very good read. Here and there they have a few jewels...but most of the time...eh.
11-25-2003, 06:37 PM,
If your looking for a more Technical magazine check out Advanced Diver Magazine at