Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redgranite ice dive 15DEC2007
12-15-2007, 05:08 PM,
Redgranite ice dive 15DEC2007
A few of us decided to head to Redgranite Quarry to do some ice diving today.  We had a lot of fun, like we usually manage to do, but the visibility was crap, and the ice wasn't safe.  One of the several people who stopped to question our sanity, and happened to be driving a blue Crown Victoria with Cop shocks, Cop Suspension, and possibly a working cigarette lighter, said the quarry had just frozen over last week.

We won't mention our Model's name, but we'll try to keep the photos educational....when the forum allows attachments again... ???

Nobody was harmed in the filming of this video, and there might be a swear word or two....
12-16-2007, 06:55 AM,
Re: Redgranite ice dive 15DEC2007
Chris

Looks like you guys had fun even if the ice was a little thin for the chainsaw...

Bill  Smile
12-16-2007, 08:07 AM,
Stupid ice diving...we never have a good time. ;D  That was probably the easiest ice dive I have ever done.  No shoveling, no dragging stuff through the snow...  Vis sucked but diving with fellow goobers is always a good time.  The chili was a pretty good top off also.

I was really surprised how thin the ice was with the temperatures we have been having at night around here.  Even in a drysuit, it really is a creepy feeling when the ice sags and starts to crack and give away below you.
12-16-2007, 01:52 PM,
As promised, here are the educational pictures ;D    Our trusty model showing proper use of a neoprene neck seal,  how to best lubricate o-rings on Si-Tec dry glove rings, proper use of an ice saw, and finally demonstrating that it was colder yesterday than the freezing point of water so any drysuits left in the elements quickly became frozen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

12-16-2007, 02:53 PM,
Good thing I...er....I mean our model didn't get caught on camera demonstrating proper booger placement or P valve usage....oh wait, there is the leaky Capt Morgan pose...
12-17-2007, 06:28 PM,
I hit the outlet for a little spearing the past couple of weekends. I was pretty surprised to find out they now have gates up over the outlet openings- so no more swimming in and scaring out the fish.  Sad

Water was 52F in the stream and 33F out of it. Was was pretty much crap no matter where you went, but at least I didn't have to drive as far as you guys did. Wink

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)