Remember me
Lost Password Register

Here's a new idea to get to the dive site!
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM,
Here's a new idea to get to the dive site!
Life's Short, Dive Hard
11-26-2007, 07:04 PM,
Re: Here's a new idea to get to the dive site!
Can anyone help me do that to my Dodge Caravan?
11-27-2007, 10:51 AM,
I'd love to help, but I don't think we'll get any traction in the muck we have around here. :Smile
Life's Short, Dive Hard
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM,
It seems pretty plausible, though I would think you'd have to run the crankcase and transaxle vent up the snorkel as well.  Perhaps they tapped them into the intake snorkel?  I'm guessing longevity wouldn't very good though, as the shaft seals and other sealing components of an automotive engine are mainly designed to keep oil in, rather than pressurized water out, so you'd end up with water in your oil. The Lada probably has no electronics to speak of, so there's nothing else to ruin (well, aside from every suspension joint and metal component in the vehicle).  Very cool!
11-27-2007, 05:51 PM,
Well, the commies are well known for making cheap, crappy, but indestructable stuff.  Mig jets are a great example.  When they got up into the air, they could take alot of punishment.  If you wanted to do this with an American vehicle it would have to be '70's or older. Anything into the computer age simply would not work. Be a great project for a '46 willys jeep.  Some of those were half way there already. 

Jim
11-27-2007, 07:02 PM,

I always thought it was funny that the Soviets designed the Mig-29 with auxiliary intakes on the top of the wing so it could take off from grass runways...  I was always a big fan of the Su-27 though.  Anyway, supposedly the engine connectors on cars are all waterproof nowadays and so it'd be okay, but I'm sure all the body electronics wouldn't last long.  I was talking some some of the engine management folks at Mercury Marine and they submerged a controller in a fish tank and ran it for several months without any trouble.  Automotive stuff uses mostly the same connectors, but I have a lot less confidence that it'd last as long.