Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gales of November -- Duluth, MN 11/7-11/8
11-05-2003, 11:58 AM,
Gales of November -- Duluth, MN 11/7-11/8
Think pirates are the stuff of ancient history? Experience the fascinating life and legacies of the Lakes. Attend the 16th Annual Gales of November Shipwreck and Diving Program, November 7-8, 2003, at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center.

A special opening reception for ticket holders will be held at the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center Friday evening, November 7, from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Festivities Saturday, November 8, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. include exhibits and programs featuring speakers on shipwrecks, lighthouses, underwater archeology, diving technology, lake history and more!

Captain Cynthia Robson, Associate Professor of Nautical Sciences, Department of Maritime Transportation, at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in King Point, New York will give the keynote address Saturday evening, entitled “Piracy: A View from the Bridge”. Captain Robson, having herself faced down machete-swinging, gun-wielding raiders more than once, knows just how real the threat of piracy continues to be today and how many ships are threatened each year.

New this year, an amazing, one-of-a-kind silent auction will include authentic artifacts such as the steering stand and wheel from the Cason J. Calloway, life rings from the Edwin H. Gott, Edward L Ryerson, and the Philip R. Clarke, and a brass porthole. Watch for additional items on !

Gales of November is fund-raiser for the Lake Superior Marine Museum Association. The Association assists the Corps of Engineers Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center in Canal Park in Duluth, bringing new exhibits and programs to educate young and old about Great Lakes maritime events and history.

Started 16 years ago by diver Elmer Engman, the event gave local divers a chance to share recent diving adventures. It has evolved into a weekend that brings together the entire Lake Superior community to learn about underwater exploration, lighthouses, history, diving technology, shipwrecks and more.

For ticket information, please call the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center at (218) 727-2497 or log on to The deadline to purchase tickets for Saturday’s box lunch and dinner is October 27.

--Jason
11-06-2003, 09:41 AM,
Re:Gales of November -- Duluth, MN 11/7-11/8
Damn! and my guidance councilor said that piracy was dead! >Sad
I KNEW I missed my calling!

Anybody want to join up?
we could raid cruise ships, lots of money, tons of booze, the occasional hottie?
AND no having to wear suits to work, instead you get a sword, pistol, and bandana.
11-06-2003, 10:55 PM,
Re:Gales of November -- Duluth, MN 11/7-11/8
I am all set to go. I am going to take my dive gear and do a wreck. See you all there.