Remember me
Lost Password Register

deepmidwest.org website
03-14-2003, 03:06 PM,
Re:deepmidwest.org website
Achtung - I like your attitude Smile It is very, very refreshing!

I'll be down at Ghost Ships...not sure how I'll find you but I'll be down there.

And FreeDiveW - yeah, EBay works, but WOW does that ever p*** off my LDS owner..heh. I try to stay on his good side, he cuts me deals!

It would have been less expensive for me to start out buying the right gear in the first place. I bought a ScubaPro RecTek BCD for around $500+ when I started. I could have gotten a good BP/Wings setup for that.

And my computer - if I would have gone DIR route I would not have spent $850 on a SmartCOM computer (which I do love by the way) so that would have been nice.

Ah well.

Sometime down the road. I haven't been certified for an extremely long time either...I should probably get a few years of experience before jumping full force into trimix/deco diving.
03-14-2003, 04:01 PM,
Hey at least you picked a nice computer! I admit I use a Uwatec Air X in warm water NDL dives. Other than that our brains are the best computers. I think your smart com has a guage mode so that you can use it as a bottom timer once you cross over to Deco/ and Mix.

No need to rush things, get some time under your belt then work your way into "tech". There is no other way unless you win the lottery anyway. Once you enter tech be prepared to spend big dough on your equipment and keep your LDC happy to keep the discounts going! I have at least 30K in equipment at this point.

Not to get on the discussion of backplate and wings but.. It is true you can have a BK PLT/ and wing for same or less as a BCD. Even my 65 year old Dad is diving a Bk PLT and a pioneer 27. He was the perfect example how his local dive shop put him in crappy gear. They also put 30 pounds of weight on him in the carribean, then told him he has no business diving because he could not hold his bouyancy. It would help if his BC would dump air in the first place. I put him in a wing and plate and the rest is history. Now he lays as flat as a flounder in the water while his instructor swims vertically through the water. He tolds safety stops better than the average OW instructor taking their first tech course! THe setup also packs up into a tiny suitcase.

Proper functioning & fitting gear is so important!

Anyhow I will be at Ghost ships. I will probably be helping my buddy at his display. Look for Shipwreck Adventures display.

Rgrds,
Darren

03-14-2003, 07:42 PM,
My 36# pioneer should arrive in a week or so. Wink I've been diving with a seaquest balance -- which I still think is a good BC. At least I feel like I am prepared for a BP/wing. My LDS certainly didn't steer me wrong there. I don't plan to sell it yet.

Darren, is there any opportunity for "guests" to join your group on a weekend? I know a couple people who are looking to start a similar organization in the Minneapolis area. I bet they could really benefit from learning how your group operates. Feel free to email me.
--Jason
03-14-2003, 07:59 PM,
As one of the less experienced (understatement) members of DEEP midwest, I can definitely identify with the cost of equipment problem. In the past two years I have basically re-purchased all my equipment to get to where I want to be equipment-wise. Even working 2 jobs, I have taken out financial aid for school - I consider it a low intrest loan for dive equipment. It would be funny if it weren't true. I started this process before DEEP midwest existed and before I knew how polarized the DIR issue was just because it made me happier and more comfortable in the water.

As far as training, I think that is one of the problems with the reputation DIR has developed. Most of the people who yell about having to do it "THIS WAY!!!" have never even taken a class from GUE. This became very obvious when some of us took the DIR - Fundamentals course this January. I can only speak for myself, but when you see the real deal, you know it! When you have someone to answer the questions coherently, it almost seems silly that such a big deal is made of such simple things.

That, I think, is one of the overlooked benefits of clubs like DEEP midwest. Classes are expensive and then you need to develop the skills you have learned. Not only do I get a chance to practice with some great divers and have a lot of fun, I also learn a ton from people who have a lot more experience than me. What Darren said about taking your time is true - now that I feel squared away, I am looking forward to enjoying the process of gaining experience and skill in the water. It should be a fun summer!

Paul
03-14-2003, 08:53 PM,
That's the plan Darren...take it good and slow Smile

Anyway, hopefully see you at the show.