Remember me
Lost Password Register

My Rebreather Experience!
11-20-2007, 11:43 AM,
My Rebreather Experience!
Hi everyone- I'm new to Wiscuba but I thought I would start out by posting about my first rebreather experience for anyone looking to get one or who wants to try something new.

I recently returned from a dive trip to Florida, where I met with Gregg Stanton and Joerg Hess at Wakulla Diving Center in Crawfordville, Florida ().  They took me through a Discover Rebreather course in which I was able to compare 7 rebreathers side by side! Gregg's 25 years teaching experience as a college professor at Florida State University showed- he was VERY patient and throughly explained all of the features of each of the units!  These included Inspiration, Evolution, Kiss Sport, Kiss Classic, Ouroboros, Megalodon and Optima. 

For a real green rebreather diver, it was really impressive to look at these all side by side.  I selected to try out the Kiss Sport.  This one was smaller and had features that seemed simple for a beginner. It allowed manual O2 and diluent adjustments and gave me a clear sense of how the more computerized rebreathers must work. 

I had some difficulty transitioning from open circuit to CCR- they told it was normal to go through a complete change in mind set.  Most difficult for me was buoyancy- here I am an experienced dive instructor and I felt like the most beginner of my open water students.  I was terrible and either crashed into the bottom or floated up to the surface, but slowly I picked up the tricks.  Joerg was right there in the pool with me for support - what comfort, he wrote the IANTD CCR Manual!

I demo-ed the rebreather in Wakulla's on-site pool for a little over an hour, and when I tried to get out (because I was a bit chilled) Gregg asked which rebreather I was going to try next!  I chose the hot tub instead. ;D

I would recommend anyone who is even thinking about rebreather diving to take this course!  Very informative!  Seven rebreathers side by side in one place- where can you get an experience like that (maybe Ron Benson- Going Under)?!  It was awesome!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   DSC_0074.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.85 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-21-2007, 06:42 AM,
Re: My Rebreather Experience!
Sounds like a great time. What are/were you looking for in a rebreather, and which was your favorite (and why)?
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM,
I was just rebreather curious, so I took advantage of the course when it was offered to me.  I choose the KISS Sport partially because it looked the least scary! ;D
Actually, it was small, the backmounted counterlungs were unobtrusive, it had manual adds and looked the best fit for a beginner to try.  I also really liked the BOV (bail out valve) feature.
11-27-2007, 07:50 PM,
Going Under has a rebreather Demo soon as well.
Daring to explore is great, daring not too...is unacceptable
11-27-2007, 08:13 PM,
Does anyone have the details on the Demo.
12-13-2007, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM by Zibbie.)
awesome!
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM,
  I've been working with the Ghost Ships Festival to set up a Rebreather Demo in Milwaukee on March 8.  Kimm and the guys have been great to work with! 

We were able to convince Gregg Stanton of Wakulla Diving to come up and offer the same demo that I had. He will be bringing all of the same rebreathers to Ghost Ships Festival that I had the opportunity to try.  He may even have a few more rebreathers by the time the festival rolls around.  Last I heard, he was looking into purchasing a Pelagian from Rebreather Lab in Thailand and a Copis from InnerSpace, so hopefully we'll get to see those too ;D  If you want to join me, I've set up a registration page:

This link will shortly be available through the Ghost Ships Website.  We are limiting the number of participants, so if you are interested, let me know right away.
12-13-2007, 12:57 PM,
PM sent!