Remember me
Lost Password Register

Long Lake last Sunday
10-30-2007, 05:53 AM,
Long Lake last Sunday
Had a nice dive in Long Lake near Dundee on Sunday, water temp was 52, and vis was around 20', water was still kind of greenish but getting better.  saw a fair amount of panfish in the weeds in the shallows, some nice fat smallmouth, a big walleye and a big northern and smaller northern.  Treasure amounted to a 15lb mushroom anchor and a fish basket that was still in fairly decent shape.
Dave Job, Port Washington WI
10-30-2007, 04:34 PM,
Re: Long Lake last Sunday
...Whereabouts are Long Lake & Dundee located Dave.......?...
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM,

43.674120, -88.174340

From Google Maps.  There is a nice state campground there as well, but they aren't open year round.
10-30-2007, 06:00 PM,
Northeast (more east than north) of Kewaskum.
10-30-2007, 06:20 PM,
...thanks...  and thanks......
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM,
I used to fish there a lot when the family used to camp at the Long Lake campground.  I didn't dive then.  I am curious, though, how good does the visibility get, what are typical depths and how is the contour of the lake?
10-30-2007, 07:39 PM,

I have no idea how good the vis gets, I've never been diving there, but I would think 20' is pretty good
10-31-2007, 05:25 AM,
Like most inland lakes, the viz in summer is pretty poor.  Long lake see a lot of boating activity during the summer, which adds another wrinkle.  It is best dove in fall and spring.  I have seen viz as much as forty to fifty feet at times. Twenty to thirty is more typical. 
    For the most part the lake has a mud and sand bottom.  Depths of about forty feet can be attained.  I understand that theres an old creekbed mid lake.  Get there on the right day and you see lots of fish.  If you dive off of Long Lake rec area, prepare to hike up and down a fairly good size hill.  There are fish cribs just off the park on the north end in about fifteen feet of water.
    Dundee is one of those places thats close to nowhere.  Part of it's appeal imho.  I usually take Hwy 57 north and pick up hwy W,just before the little town of Waldo.  W goes strait west and runs into Hwy F.  Hwy F west will get you to Long Lake Rec area and finally Dundee.  Dive safe!

Jim
10-31-2007, 11:11 AM,

Yep.  Sunday we had two boats total, with only one of those sticking around for any length of time, which indeed was a nice change from the summertime.  i was out with FredW in the zodiac one time this summer and we were kind of feeling like targets out there and the zodiac felt about as big as an innertube.  but we did get a night dive in this summer with no boats on the lake, and Fred W was saying something about "no motor hours", or something like that, after a certain time in the evening, which effectively meant that the boating dropped off to nothing.  Not sure if that's a DNR reg or not. 
Dave Job, Port Washington WI
10-31-2007, 12:18 PM,
In the absence of a boat, where would be the best place to put in from shore?  The state park boat lauch?  What about something further north?