Remember me
Lost Password Register

Summer diving
10-25-2003, 06:51 PM,
Summer diving
I am thinking about visiting Wisconsin next summer and I would love to do some diving while I am there. When are conditions there the best? early mid or late summer? Also, I do not dive a dry suit so can I still dive at all?
10-25-2003, 08:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2003, 08:34 PM by freediverND.)
Re:Summer diving
Hello Cavern Junkie.
Wisconsin has some great diving because of the Great Lakes.. just when they're the best I'm not sure, but I would venture that the spring and fall/winter would be the clearest water but you hear good things all during the summer too. The smaller lakes in the state would be like what we dive in minnesota I'm sure, and a bit more dependant on the weather and the time of year for clarity .. being spring/fall/winter the clearest.. and during the summer going through changes and more of a hit and miss deal. The great lakes will freeze most scubadivers out in a wetsuit but I've heard talk of warm surface water temps during the summer at the wrecks. You'll most likely find lots of answers to your questions already posted here.. and for sure some of the wisconsin divers will answer your post too. And then there is the Free Dive Apalooza going on next summer. Should check that out.. maybe we get you into a little freediving.
Fred
10-25-2003, 09:20 PM,
In general, diving conditions are usually best in May and June if you are limited to a wet suit. As the summer progresses, the temperatures are better, but the diving conditions get worse.

With that said, a lot depends on what type of diving you are looking to do. Some wrecks in the great lakes are very good in August and a wet suit is all that you need.

What type of diving are you looking for? For some examples, look around on this site or

Posting a few questions on this site should help you plan a good time.

Doug
10-26-2003, 05:29 PM,
Thank you for the quick replies.

Right now I am leaning towards visiting at the end of May or early June. I would like to dive Wazee or Red Granite, those two sites interest me the most. Will the water be really cold?
10-26-2003, 07:17 PM,
Checking dive logs from this spring. From early May to mid-June the surface water (above 30 feet) ranged from 55 to 65 degress, warming as the spring progressed. Temperatures below the thermocline drops off rapidly to 40 degrees.

Typically we do check out dives above the thermocline in wet suit during this time of year. One deep run with a wet suit below the thermocline is OK, but the second run can be tough. The fish are out at this time of year, especially at Lake Wazee.

I do a lot of diving at these lakes during this time of year. Let me know when you come up and we can give you the tour.

Doug
10-28-2003, 10:14 AM,
Surface temps don't sound too bad. I guess that means if you go deep you guys normally do one dive a day.

I'll be staying in Fond du Lac. Is there a dive shop nearby where I can rent tanks and stuff?
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM,
Let's see...I'm not sure about Fond Du Lac, but there are a bunch of dive shops in Appleton (Divers Realm) and Green Bay (Green Bay Scuba). Out at Lake Wazee there is Wazee Sports and a few others right in Black River Falls. There isn't anything for shops in the town of Redgranite at all so you'd have to bring your own stuff.

Most of us have drysuits, so the temps don't keep us from making three or four dives on a good day at all - we usually even get in two dives on most ice diving excursions Smile
10-28-2003, 05:33 PM,
I do not know about Fond du Lac but there is Precision Sports in Oshkosh which is pretty close.

Doug
10-30-2003, 10:56 AM,
Thanks for all of your help guys. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me spend a day diving with you guys.