Remember me
Lost Password Register

Perforated eardrum...Yikes!
11-16-2007, 08:17 AM,
Re: Perforated eardrum...Yikes!

You can offset the initial blast of cold water by pouring warm water in your suit before the dive.  Helps take some of the edge off!
11-16-2007, 09:06 AM,
Ok then.....good to hear that the 7mm should do the trick.  We had already planned on "pre-warming" with dumping warmed water into our suits.  Probably have some waiting at the takeout too.  I am nervous though.  No manly issues about admitting it either.  I have to practice removing my mask and putting it back on....I am leary about the quick flush of cold water on my face.  Perhaps not a big issue with all of the layers I'll have on, but nonetheless.....kind of freaked out.  I kayak year-round and there is always so much discussion about cold water immersion issues.  I just haven't done much diving and especially in these temps.  Maybe I'll end up being so stoked that ice diving will be in my future  ???
How the heck did I end up in a cubicle job ??!!!!!
11-16-2007, 09:28 AM,
Where will you be diving this weekend?
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM,
I am diving Devil's Lake this afternoon.

Grimloc
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM,
Vis at Big Green was probably 15-20 ft.  Dove off of Horner's Landing and didn't see much other than by the boat landing.  I was told that there is a landing on the north side and it is a much better dive.  The wife didn't like the cold, so I'll probably wait until spring to check it out.  
11-16-2007, 07:28 PM,

54 deg F, Toasty warm water yet.

Doug
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM,
Well alrighty then!  Dove today as per plan.  Surface temp was 48 degrees.  My computer read 45 degrees at 21 feet.  Um.........that was cold!  Had hooded vest plus 7mm suit, 5mm booties and guantlet gloves.  I swear....the first 5 minutes were really something.  I really wasn't sure how much fun I was having initially  :o

Much to my surprise....perhaps not yours....I did acclimate after a bit.  Taking my mask off was a definate mind over matter experience.  Nothing pleasant about that. 

Bottom line....things went well and I've got my first bit of bragging rights among my non-diving friends.  8)

My left ear (previously perforated) was fine on descent.  However, on a v.e.r.y. slow ascent..it sure did a lot of creaking, squeeking along the way up.  Having little dive experience...I have no idea how much audible noise one should expect on ascent.  I was convinced that i may have leaked middle ear air through the eardrum.  No blood though and I could just be particularily nervous about the whole thing.

Do your ears make noise on ascent?  Anyone?

Grimloc
11-16-2007, 09:22 PM,
You do get some noise some times - someone else can explain they physics behind the why!

Glad to hear it went well.  Congratulations!!
11-16-2007, 10:32 PM,
Early in my diving career I had a lot of noise on ascent.  So did my daughter.  Not a problem, just air moving out.  No pain.  A little strange though.

Doug
11-17-2007, 09:11 PM,
sounds like you might have been close to a reverse squeeze.  don' t be surprised if in a few days you have a cold or sinus trouble.  I don't think it's unusual for the ear noise on ascent or difficulty equalizing on the way down to be a forwarning of an impending cold or sinus trouble.

other than that how have things been over here on the wiscuba board??? long time not here..
Fred