Remember me
Lost Password Register

Perforated eardrum...Yikes!
09-03-2007, 06:35 PM,
Re: Perforated eardrum...Yikes!
Chris, thank you for the link to the Dan article.  I have used sudafed on a number of dives but found that I sometimes had panic attacks just before decending.  I know that it does have a tendency to raise blood pressure in some people and decided that I must be one of "those" people.  I wasn't aware that sudafed made drops, are they ear drops?  If so is that something you can pick up at the local drugstore?  I've never seen them but if its something I can use without the increased blood pressure that would be awesome!!
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM,
I personally have not used them, I just remember seeing them in the DAN article.  If anyone saves their issues of Alert Diver, I think it was in the letters/ask DAN section.  I usually just sort of scan through the magazine.  I did a quick Google search and Sudafed doesn't offer anything that is a drop.  I'll do a bit more digging, but most of the things I have found mention prescription medications.
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM,
Here is another article on Sudafed.  I don't want to get too far off topic, but this place has been slow lately so any discussion is better than none.

09-03-2007, 08:00 PM,
As long as we're getting off topic, I'd like to ask about all of Deans "wifes" and their recreational limits  ;D.
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM by moneysavr.)

Hey Grimloc,
The ear rupture and or problems clearing your ears for new divers is common,I think this was missed on the other post's !This can be caused by crud in your tubes,you need to treat any sinus issues prior to hitting the water like allergies are a big cause!clear that up and find a good ENT doc and get cleared to dive again.

Don't listen to any ____ that tells you meds like Sudafed is a good idea to take prior to any dives as I have seen too many divers do the panic attack thing,fast heart rates,mass air use and basically can make a fun dive turn bad. I don't care about what other divers do new divers should not use over/behind  the counter meds next to properly perscribed medicines by a ENT ,Doctor familiar with diving practices.Its done but don't do it!                   DAN Join, get the insurance read the articles,and member services are the best!!!!!  
Next get back in the water and get that C card,after some dives and proper ear clearing techniques you will get down on deeper dives with no problem.
I know because  this weekend up in Sturgeon Bay I was with a commercial  diver and Dive instructor with many more dives than most and he was telling me about the major cause many divers don't get the open water cert is because ear problems and they drop out,and just several months ago my out ear was ruptured due to a ear infection and with a good ENT Doc I am back in the water and taking big time percautions with my ears.
have fun and dive safe,and good luck!
This is only my two cents!!
Brad
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM,
Thanks all,

No hard feelings here....I was at an emotional low when Doug replied.  I am motivated as H..E..double hockey sticks to dive and was dissappointed in making, what I felt, was a newbie mistake.  I preach attention to detail, and was already self-loathing when Doug's "toughen up" comment hit me.  I have every intention of getting wet again and plan to just as soon as I have medical clearance. 

In the meantime...I'll study up on how to avoid this in the future. 

Thanks again,

Grim
How the heck did I end up in a cubicle job ??!!!!!
11-15-2007, 02:43 PM,
Re: Perforated eardrum...Good news!
Hey!  Guess what....I was cleared to dive by my ENT doctor.  And only 2 months later after the perforation (felt like a decade). 

I may have the opportunity to get wet this weekend.  However, I am somewhat apprehensive about the thought of approx. 50 degree water.  I have little dive experience so I am not sure if this is wise for me to pursue.  Can a 7mm wetsuit handle this kind of water temp?  What other considerations should I have at this point.  I would have a PADI instructor and a Rescue level diver with me.....what do you think?

Grimloc
How the heck did I end up in a cubicle job ??!!!!!
11-15-2007, 03:02 PM,
Re: Perforated eardrum...Good news!

Glad to hear your ear is better.

Although I now only dive in a dry suit, I have used a 7mm wet suit ice diving.  I wouldn't do it again, but that is not the point..maybe it is.  Only you can decide if you want to dive in the conditions you are describing.  Get in a pool first to knock the cobwebs off if you are concerned about being rusty.  I know that this can often be more mentally challenging than it is physical.
11-15-2007, 09:31 PM,
I'm a new diver myself, it's good to hear that your healed up and eager to get back to diving.  Dove Big Green Lake two weeks ago, water temp was 54.  In a 7mm suit & 3/5mm hooded vest, I was plenty warm after the initial blast of cold water that enters the suit warmed up.  Go ahead and enjoy whatever time in the water you can. 
11-16-2007, 07:33 AM,

Hi sjdive, how was the visibility at Big Green?
Dave Job, Port Washington WI