Remember me
Lost Password Register

Big Green Lake
09-15-2007, 10:50 AM,
Big Green Lake
Hello All,
    I am looking for some new places to go in the great state of Wisconsin and came across the Big Green Lake. Does anyone have any experience with this lake or any input related to diving this lake, Water temp, vis, bottom layout, fish, etc. All I have found is a DNR map that tells me it is very deep and it drops off fast. Thanks for the help. James
09-15-2007, 01:20 PM,
Re: Big Green Lake
My wife & I plan on diving it as soon as her backordered BC arrives.  The common recommendation I have heard is that you should only dive it during the week.  There is a lot of boat traffic on weekends and the jet skiers like using dive flags as a makeshift slalom course.  Once we actually get in the water, I will post my experience.
09-16-2007, 03:14 PM,
Is there a sheriff department, or township boat patrol on the lake? I 've found if you stop on the day of diving and talk to the boat patrol guys giving them a heads up as to where you might be diving, they will often watch the area because they like to enforce the flag violation done by the jet skis. Easy tickets for them and they always like easy tickets. DNR wardens are good flag watchers too.

Just remember to follow the rules you need to follow. Like surfacing near your float.
09-16-2007, 03:44 PM,
Talk to the guy that owns the liquor store downtown Green Lake.  I think he's a NAUI instructor and knows the lake well.  He'll tell you that there is a two week window in the summer, between algae blooms when viz is best.  And he'll tell you shore diving is not a good idea:  use a boat.