Remember me
Lost Password Register

New Movie
10-22-2003, 03:14 PM,
New Movie
Looks like James Cameron is in the process of making a movie about the Freediver Pipin and his late wife, Audrey.

So far there is talk of Vin Disel (sp?) playing Pipin and Selma Hayek is interested in playing Audrey. Last week Pipin did another, sled, dive to 560' and Cameron filmed it with two minisubs. Here is a news release about it:

LOS ANGELES … Twentieth Century Fox has acquired for Lightstorm Entertainment the rights to the life story of legendary freediving champion Franciso “Pipin” Ferreras, for filmmaker James Cameron to direct. Cameron will produce with Lightstorm partners Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini. Judith Regan of ReganBooks, which will be publishing Pipin's autobiography, will serve as Executive Producer.

The planned feature will focus on Pipin’s relationship with his late wife Audrey Mestre, a freediving star in her own right who died last year attempting to beat her own “No Limits” diving record off the coast of the Dominican Republic. The "No Limits" category is the deepest, most extreme and most dangerous of all freediving categories.

On October 12, 2003 – commemorating the first anniversary of Audrey’s death – Pipin will attempt to match Audrey's world record descent in one breath of 170 meters (557.7 feet).
Pipin’s attempt will be witnessed and recorded by James Cameron. Cameron will use two manned submersibles to follow Pipin’s trajectory along the cable on which a mechanical device, called a sled, will carry Pipin toward the abyss and bring him back to the surface once the designated depth has been reached.

Commented Pipin: “It is a great honor to be part of one of James Cameron’s projects. My upcoming record attempt, as part of a tribute to the memory of my late wife Audrey, and his presence will be proudly appreciated and accepted with humbleness. I am looking forward to working with him and witnessing, close and personal, his great talent.”
Cameron, in addition to being a prolific writer and director, is also an underwater explorer and expert scuba diver. He shares Pipin's passion for and fascination with the ocean, and is a lifelong admirer of diving pioneers and icons such as Jacques Cousteau.

Commented Lightstorm’s Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini: “The amazing love and passion that Pipin and Audrey shared for each other and for the sea moved us all, and Jim knew immediately that he wanted to be the filmmaker who told their story. Although we'll never have the opportunity to meet Audrey, she still speaks to us through the legacy and loved ones she left behind, especially her husband Pipin. We're looking forward to working with him closely on this, beginning with our coverage of his October 12th dive in Audrey's honor.”
Pipin’s "No Limits" freediving record attempt is being offered for live worldwide television broadcast. This will be Pipin’s first such effort since January 2000, when he set a “No Limits" world record of 162 meters (531.4 feet), a mark subsequently shattered by Audrey under Pipin’s coaching. If Pipin matches Audrey’s final record, it will be the first time in the history of the sport in which husband and wife have shared the world record in any category.

Lightstorm also has acquired rights to Pipin's upcoming autobiography, to be published next year by ReganBooks, as well as a recent Sports Illustrated cover story, “The Deadly Dive,” by Gary Smith.
10-24-2003, 08:43 AM,
Re:New Movie
Cool.

I can already see it - Vin Diesel in the water screaming "Welcome to the Xander Zone" before diving under...hehe.

;D