Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rosinco and Wisconsin 26 August 2007
08-27-2007, 05:20 PM,
Rosinco and Wisconsin 26 August 2007
The weather and my schedule finally matched yesterday, and I was able to get in a couple great dives.  We went out of Kenosha and headed to the Rosinco.  There was no mooring line present so we needed to use the grapnel hook.  The lake was flat calm, and the Grapnel Gods were smiling on us.  One try and we were on the wreck.  At the surface, the water looked cloudy and green.  We hopped in the water and began our journey, ok a short trip, to the wreck.

At the wreck we were greeted with ambient light, and fantastic visibility.  The Rosinco is 90ish feet long, and we could see nearly end to end.  I hadn't been on this wreck before, but I'd like to go back and see it again because there was a lot to see and 25 minutes wasn't enough.  The first window I looked in I was greeted by a Burbot (Lota lota for you Ichthyologists in the group) in the wine rack.  This was obviously a beautiful vessel when it was afloat, because it looked pretty good after 79 years 175' below the surface of Lake Michigan.  In fact, there may have been more Burbot on this wreck than I have seen on any other.  Temps were in the high 30s to low 40s on the bottom, and a whopping 68 degrees at 20ft.  Here is a link to some additional information about the Rosinco.     It was a very nice dive, and I'd go back anytime.

After the Rosinco, we headed to the Wisconsin.  I ran out of Argon at about 95 feet, and spent this dive more squeezed than I would have liked to.  Nevertheless,  I continued for the 30 minutes we had planned, and we had a nice dive.  We went into the hole on the starboard side where the carts, box of shoes, and what must be wood stoves are.  From there we headed toward the hole in the stern with the cars in it and went a bit in either direction there. 

After a couple of great dives on a perfect day, it is hard to beat a couple Meatball Sandwiches from Tenuta's Italian Deli.  Matt was miffed they didn't know what Antipasto was, but they certainly have Bombers figured out.
08-27-2007, 09:32 PM,
Re: Rosinco and Wisconsin 26 August 2007
Sounds like a good dive.  Great to hear that there is some good visibility around yet.

See you at the bottom.

Doug