Remember me
Lost Password Register

British Columbia Trip
10-21-2003, 08:56 AM,
British Columbia Trip
If you have never dove BC you are missing the boat. One of the most up and coming dive location. Yes, it is cold water, but the coral and underwater diversity puts the Caribean to shame. Closest compariable location would be the South Pacific at 2 th 2 times the cost. This trip leaves out of Vancouver BC aboard a 116 foot diving yachet heading for Browning Pass and Port Hardy area. Seals, dolphins, Orcas, and whales are in the area at this time. We be departing on August 29, 2004
Contact us at info@tallpinescuba.com
Don't miss the boat
10-21-2003, 03:54 PM,
Re:British Columbia Trip
That is an awsome area!

I have dove in Seattle and sea kayaked in Victoria, British Columbia. I had seals surfacing within a paddle length of my kayak to come and play with me. ;D I also saw a lot of wolf eels, but missed out on the giant octopi.

Vancouver is one of the greatest hot-bed's of freediving in the world. They are actually having the ADIA World Championship freedivign competition up there next August. Simon Fraiser University, in Vancouver, even has a continous research study going on freediving. There are a couple of world champions who live there, along with one of the best trainers in the world, and they freedive all year long. I guess that the seals really love the freedivers monofins.

The other nice thing is that your dollar buys you 30% more up there. ;D

Wish I could go with you.

Jon
05-17-2004, 09:08 PM,
I got a chance to take a could of dive in British Columbia. Was out there on business and a friend was able to set up some dives. We went to Bowyer Island in Howe Sound north of Vancouver. There are a couple of dive sites that are buoyed. The sites were called Bowyer Pinnacle and Bowyer South.

At Bowyer Pinnacle we teamed up with a harbor seal that joined us for most of the dive. Visibility was in the 60 foot range. It was great. Plenty to see, anemones, giant plumose anenomes all over the place, starfish, brittle stars and rockfish.

At Bowyer South we saw a wolf eels and some beautiful nudibranches, plus all of the stuff mentioned above.

Diving here is great. the day was super. Here is a picture of the first dive site and the mountains behind.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Bowyer_Island_-_2_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.06 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-17-2004, 09:13 PM,
I took a few pictures of what I saw underwater. I really enjoy the starfish and brittle stars.

Here is a good example of a starfish with more legs than it needs.

.jpg_thumb   Starfish_-_5_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 53.43 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-17-2004, 09:19 PM,
Here is a more normal starfish

.jpg_thumb   Starfish_-_3_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.78 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-17-2004, 09:23 PM,
I like this little guy. He makes for a nice color contrast.

.jpg_thumb   Starfish_-_4_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 50.05 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-17-2004, 09:25 PM,
I am not sure what these guys are doing but it could be nasty. It is a wild world underwater.

.jpg_thumb   Brittle_Star_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 46.77 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-17-2004, 09:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2004, 09:27 PM by dfreeman.)
Of course there were a lot of anemones. Here is a nice one.

.jpg_thumb   Anemone_-_2_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 45.8 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-17-2004, 09:32 PM,
Here is a view from the second dive site. I wonder if that house would sell for cheap?

This was a great place to dive. Weather, diving conditions and divesites were great.

Thanks to the guys at Blue Zone Diving for a good day of diving.

.jpg_thumb   Bowyer_Island_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.17 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-18-2004, 08:35 AM,
Holy cow Doug - that looks like some awesome stuff!!!

Forget the tropics, huh ;D