Remember me
Lost Password Register

Turning on my HID
08-01-2007, 08:20 PM,
Turning on my HID
Just got my new Dive Rite 10 w HID slimline, can I turn it on on the surface just for 5 mins to test it out before I put it to some use this weekend?
Daring to explore is great, daring not too...is unacceptable
08-02-2007, 06:33 AM,
Re: Turning on my HID
yep
08-02-2007, 08:30 AM,
That depends entirely on if you follow the example of one of our fellow posters and leave the cover on when you do this. :Smile..this is not a good idea and if memory serves...it melted the cover and damaged the lense as well as required a bulb.....Keep in mind..this was totally ....i think diverite says ..." Oh heavens no!!!!..if you do turn it on out of water..the earth/time continueum will be severly affected and a solar and lunar eclipse will simtaneously happen thus ending existance as we now know it"

BUT............

when i did it, the only concern that i had were the FLames that shot out of my A$$....but that could be from the burrito that i ate...
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM,
That was a Sartek, not a Dive rite ;D

Josh, if you are concerned about it, fill your sink with cool water and place the lighthead in the water when you are trying it out.
08-02-2007, 05:31 PM,
I know it wasn't a Dive Rite because thay never work ;D. The Sartek lens was all that needed to be replaced ($10.00). I can also tell you that you don't want an 18 watt HID turning on with a cover over it either (I never do learn my lesson the 1st time). Delrin reflectors also melt and cost a whole lot more than a Sartek lens...... :'(.
08-02-2007, 08:36 PM,
I would recommend, as a safety measure, to put it in your sink w/ cold water. 

I have a couple Dive Rite HID's and several of my friends dive them.  They get pretty hot out of the water.  A friend of mine toasted his bulb after a dive when he left the light on sitting on a picnic table.

This was w/ the old welch allen bulb, not the newer style they are using.  But the little suckers get hot and I would hate to see you trash your light.
08-07-2007, 03:07 AM,
Thanks guys, I ended up not testing it out above water.  I spent 4 days in Isle Royale, I figure that was as good of a place as any to try it out.  Wow did I enjoy it.
08-07-2007, 07:20 AM,
At this point, my HID is still my favorite piece of equipment. A friendly word of advice. DO NOT dive with someone that has a bigger light. You WILL have to have one  Wink. Light envy is a dangerous thing.
08-07-2007, 11:53 AM,
Oh ya no kidden, I don't know what I would have done without it.  I'm used to LED's and once I was 2 or 3 levels down in the America I realized how amazing those things really are.

Word of advice for anyone that wants one: I had my light mounted on my backplate with the switch on the inside and the cord on the outside; BAD mistake.  The rolls on my drysuit kept turning the light off INSIDE the wrecks.  Well once I figured out the problem I had the switch on the outside and everything was better. 
08-07-2007, 07:27 PM,
Oh, for clarification; by "those things," I mean HID's.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D